How to Make Red Onion Chutney in Ten Minutes
Onion Red Chutney or Sauce
How to Make Onion Red Chutney At-a-Glance:
Making this chutney takes hardly ten minutes. You have to chop some onions. Put them in a mixer/grinder. Add some fried gram, grated coconut, red chilies, a few coriander seeds, soaked tamarind, and salt. Grind while adding some water to get a near-smooth paste. Add water to adjust the consistency as desired, and you're done. This chutney should be semi-solid. Tempering this chutney enhances the taste.
How to Temper the Chutney:
Heat some oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, white lentil, broken dry red chilies, and curry leaves. Let mustard crackle. By this time, white lentil turns golden. Pour this tempering on the chutney or sauce. Mix it with the chutney while serving.
Ingredients for Making Onion Red Chutney:
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fried gram, optional, gives thickness to this chutney
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- blueberry size tamarind, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 6 red chilies, mix of hot and less hot varieties.
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp white lentils, for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 broken dry red chili, for the tempering
- 1 tsp oil, for the tempering
- a few coriander seeds
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Red Onion Chutney or Sauce
- Chop onions. Put them in a mixer/grinder. Add grated coconut, fried gram, coriander seeds, dry red chilies, soaked tamarind, and salt.
- Grind adding water to get a near-smooth sauce or chutney.
- Pour water to adjust the consistency. This chutney should be semi-solid.
- Now, you have to add tempering to this chutney. For that, heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, broken red chilies, white lentils, and curry leaves. Let mustard crackle. By this time, lentils turn golden.
- Pour this tempering on the chutney. Mix together at the time of serving.
- Onion red chutney/sauce is ready to serve. Eat it with boiled rice, dosa, idli, pancakes, or snacks. Enjoy!