How to Cook Oven-Baked Tomatoes
A Simple Recipe for Delicious Baked Baby Tomatoes
This recipe is suitable for beginners. Indeed, novice cooks can rejoice at the fact that they can produce such a tasty and nourishing vegetable delicacy with so little trouble.
This dish is sometimes described as roast tomatoes, so don't get confused and think that baked tomatoes are something different. Some people say that roasting refers to a higher oven temperature than baking, and some say it is the same thing, and that the words are interchangeable.
In my opinion and vocabulary, they do just mean the same—so just shove the tomatoes in the oven and get on with the cooking without getting involved in the semantics! In this article, you will also find a video about growing tomatoes, a quiz, and other information.
Oven-Baked Tomatoes Are Very Versatile
- You can eat them hot, warm or cold.
- You can store the baked tomatoes in a jar to use later, and give them as a gift. They look very attractive in a glass jar.
- They are great to eat on their own, with salad and cold food, as an accompaniment to hot meats fish or a vegetarian meal, in a sauce or as a spread, dip or an omelet filling.
Are You Open to Trying New Foods?
How about you - do you like trying out new recipes?
- Large baking tray
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Chopping board
- 1/2 kilogram (just over 1 pound) baby tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 medium-sized hot chillis, e.g. jalapenos
- 8 cloves garlic (or to taste), crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste (or tinned anchovies)
- 10 capers
- 2 sprigs marjoram, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Finely slice the chillis. Peel, crush, and chop garlic. Chop marjoram.
- Add all ingredients together in a bowl with half of the olive oil and turn with a spoon.
- Lay out the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking tray. Place in oven and cook at 180 degrees (gas mark 4) for 30 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, turn the tomatoes with the spoon or spatula and return the baking tray to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Put the tomato mixture in a jar and pour the rest of the olive oil over it.
- Do not be surprised at the amount left at the end, as tomatoes are 80% water, and the purpose of placing them in the oven is to reduce the amount of water they contain.
Rate This Recipe
Tomato Plant Care
Tomato Quizview quiz statistics
More Information About Tomatoes
- Homemade Tomato Sauce: Quick and Easy Recipe
This is the best tomato sauce for flavour and nutrition. When you make homemade tomato sauce, you can control what goes into it. It's easy to make and my family loves it.
- Make a Scrumptious Homemade Tomato Soup
Learn the secret to making a thick and rich tomato soup from garden fresh or canned tomatoes!
- Tomatoes: Plant Facts, Interesting History, and Fruit Flavor
Tomatoes are nutritious fruits (or vegetables) with an interesting history, but they often lack flavor compared to tomatoes of the past. A discovery by scientists should be helpful in creating tastier fruits. Some strategies for obtaining tomatoes wi
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Diana Grant