I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
How to Make Sardine Spread
How often do you buy store-bought spreads? Personally, I'm not a fan of these spreads, so I always try to make them at home if I can. I like being able to customize the ingredients to match my preferences. I encourage you to try making your own spreads at home, too. Not only are they often healthier, but they are usually easier on your food budget, as well.
I like to add kalamansi juice to this recipe, as it balances the strong sardine flavor. Kalamansi is a native citrus fruit in the Philippines that is somewhat similar to a lime.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 to 3 servings
Read More From Delishably
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small plate
- chopping board
- measuring spoons
- 1 can sardines, in oil
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 kalamansi, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon pickles
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Step-by-Step Procedure: Sardine Spread
- Add the kalamansi juice to the sardines. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle relish, salt, pepper, and onion. Mix until well-combined. Set aside.
- Mash the sardines with fork. Combine it with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Serve with crackers or bread.
Tips and Techniques
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- For a more flavorful spread, use Spanish-style sardines.
- Add celery, if available.
More Recipes With Sardines
- How to Make Canned Sardines Fried Rice
Have you tried adding canned sardines to your fried rice? I tried doing this and was pleasantly surprised by the delicious results. Take your boring canned sardines to the next level.
- How to Make a Spicy Sardine Omelet
Have you ever tried a sardine omelet for breakfast? Enjoy this simple yet nutrient-packed morning meal today.
© 2019 Travel Chef