How to Make Sweet and Spicy Fish Ball Sauce
Fish ball sauce is a standard sauce that is served not only with fish balls but also with many other types of fried foods.
Do you know why this sauce is called fish ball sauce, as opposed to chicken sauce or pork sauce? Throughout Asia, fish balls are a very common street food. Its popularity arose before other kinds of fried balls or nuggets were invented, such as crab balls, pork balls, and squid balls, or chicken nuggets. Today, this sauce is usually served with any kind of snackable ball or nugget that you may find being sold on the street.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Garlic, as desired
- Onion, as desired
- Bird's eye chili, chopped; as desired
- Water, to dilute the cornstarch and flour
- Cooking oil
- 1 medium plate
- 1 medium bowl
- 2 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- cooking spoons
- Combine cornstarch and flour. Dilute in a few tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Pour in water. Add brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, and hot sauce. Mix all the ingredients.
- Add the slurry mixture (cornstarch and flour mix). Bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat. Mix in bird's eye chilies.
- Allow it to cool down before transfering it into a clean container.
- Serve it with your favorite fried foods.
Simple Fish Ball Recipe
- Fish fillet, cubed (any kind)
- Chinese-style breading mix
The Finished Dish
Tips and Techniques
- Keep the sauce inside the refrigerator. Reheat it when needed.
- Use fresh garlic and onion if preferred. Simply saute these two in oil before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Add any chilies available.
- Increase the number of chilies to make a spicier version.
- Replace brown sugar with white sugar. Though brown sugar will give you that natural rich taste of molasses.
- Serve this sauce with any fried food, including my fried chicken gizzards.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Travel Chef