How to Store and Preserve Green Peas at Home
It's Easy to Preserve Green Peas at Home
Green peas are very nutritious and tasty as well. They are rich with carbohydrates, and they are a good balance of protein and carbs, too. They are a good source of vitamin B and they have some fiber, vitamins, and minerals, too.
This veggie is seasonal. During winter, it is abundant. Hence, peas are cheap during winter. You can buy them, shell them, and store the seeds for your future use. Here is an easy method to store them for a longer time in your freezer. You can use them as and when required. These green peas will be as fresh and just as tasty as the freshly shelled ones. Let's learn how to preserve them for months.
Important Tips for Preserving Green Peas at Home
- Select good quality green pea pods. Discard the damaged seeds. Preserve only the good quality green peas.
- Adding sugar is mainly to retain green peas color and also to make it sweeter.
- In the last step, use ice cold water or water with ice cubes to immerse green peas.
- You can also store them in air-tight containers. However, storing in polythene bags with zip-lock is more convenient to keep in the freezer, as they occupy less space.
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Preserving Green Peas at Home
- Shell the green peas. Collect about 750 grams of peas in a bowl.
- Pour some water into a saucepan. You have to have enough water to comfortably immerse the fresh peas in it.
- Heat the water. When the water is about to boil, add 2 teaspoons of sugar. Mix well.
- Now, add the green peas. Stir once. Keep the heat medium-high for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Adding sugar is mainly to keep the color intact and also to make it all a bit sweeter.
- Immediately pass the beans through a sieve. Next, quickly immerse them in ice-cold water or in normal water with ice pieces. Keep the peas here until they become completely cold.
- Once again, pass them through a sieve. Collect the green peas.
- Now, put the peas into small polythene bags with a ziplock. Make them air-tight.
- Keep these bags in the deep freezer.
- Use them whenever you want.
- These green peas are as tasty and colorful as the fresh ones. They cook faster.