How to Store and Preserve Green Peas at Home
Shelled Green Peas Stored in the Freezer
It's Easy to Preserve Green Peas at Home
Green peas are very nutritious and tasty as well. They are rich with carbohydrates, and they balance protein with the carbs too. They are a good source of vitamin B. They have some fiber, vitamins, and minerals, too.
This veggie is seasonal. During winter, they are abundant. Hence, they are cheap during winter. You can buy them, shell them, and store the seeds for your future use.
Here is an easy method to store them for a longer time in your freezer. You can use them as and when required.
These green peas will be as fresh and as tasty like the freshly shelled ones.
Let's learn how to preserve them for months.
Some Important Tips for Preserving Green Peas at Home
1. Select good quality green pea pods. Discard the damaged seeds. Preserve only the good quality green peas.
2. Adding sugar is mainly to retain green peas color and also to make it sweeter.
3. In the last step, use ice cold water or water with ice cubes to immerse green peas.
4. You can also store them in air-tight containers. However, storing in polythene bags with zip-lock is more convenient to keep in the freezer, as they occupy less space.
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Preserving Green Peas at Home
- Shell green peas. Collect about 750 g peas in a bowl.
- Pour some water to a sauce pan. You have to take enough water to comfortably immerse the fresh peas in it.
- Heat the water. When the water is about to boil, add 2 tea spoons of sugar. Mix well.
- Now, add green peas. Stir once. Keep the heat medium-high for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Adding sugar is mainly to keep its' color intact and also to make it a bit sweeter.
- Immediately pass it through a sieve. Next, quickly immerse it in ice cold water or in normal water with ice pieces. Keep like that till the peas becomes completely cold.
- Once again pass it through a sieve. Collect the green peas.
- Now, fill the peas in small polythene bags with zip lock. Make them air-tight.
- Keep these bags in the deep freezer.
- Use them whenever you want.
- These green peas are as tasty and colorful as the fresh ones. They cook faster.