I like to share information that makes life more joyful and meaningful. My main interests are health and general wellness in body and mind.
Orange Marmalade Recipe
This is a first-class, yummy, homemade orange marmalade recipe. There are literally thousands of sites on the internet offering recipes like this (but that aren't as good as this one!). Let me add another one here.
You can try this recipe and decide for yourself which one is better. I use the term “better” because, frankly, I don’t think there is a way to accurately qualify which one is the "best," homemade or otherwise. After all, taste is quite personal and subjective. Let’s get down to business. This is how to make this strikingly delicious condiment.
- 4 large oranges
- 1.25 liters water
- 500 grams of sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon brandy or Cointreau
- Wash and scrub clean the oranges.
- Put the oranges in a large saucepan.
- Pour in the water.
- Bring to a boil under medium heat, and then gently simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until orange skin turns soft. Do not boil under high heat because the oranges may burst. To test whether the skin is soft, poke them with a sharp object or with the sharp end of a knife.
- Remove the oranges and leave to cool. Do not pour away the water which will be used later.
- Slice off four sides of each orange plus the top and bottom, leaving a cube of orange flesh. (Refer photo on the right showing one of the cut oranges)
- Cut the orange rind into very fine thin strips.
- Chop the orange cubes also into very fine pieces. Discard all the seeds.
- Put all the chopped pieces back into the saucepan.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Bring to boil under medium heat for 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add sugar, reduce heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Then bring to boil again under medium heat and continue to stir for 30 minutes or until the contents jell into marmalade.
- Add in the Brandy or Cointreau, and stir to mix.
- When cool, transfer to airtight glass jars.
The Final Product
You should have the luscious tangy homemade orange marmalade as shown in the photos below!! Enjoy your well-deserved reward!
Rate This Recipe
Roselyn on July 18, 2020:
This was very nice
Smriti on February 10, 2020:
Can we use another liquor other than brandy??
Justin Choo (author) from Malaysia on January 14, 2013:
Thanks for visiting and vote.
prasetio30 from malang-indonesia on January 14, 2013:
Hmmm...Yummy. It sounds delicious. I can't wait to make it soon, because my mother bought 2 kg oranges yesterday. Thanks for writing and share with us. Voted up!
Anamika S Jain from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on January 14, 2013:
I love this! Pinning for reference...
Justin Choo (author) from Malaysia on January 13, 2013:
Hi Shauna ,
Sorry I don't know, but definitely long enough for me to finish.
Shauna on January 13, 2013:
What is the shelf life of the orange marmalade?
aunty oriole on September 19, 2012:
This recipe is very easy to follow because it is clear and accompanied by the photos. I am motivated to try it and shall let you know the result. Can save money and safe from preservatives. Thanks.
Justin Choo (author) from Malaysia on September 19, 2012:
Hi Alisa, Thelma, and Christine,
Thanks for visiting this hub. Hope all of you try out this recipe. 100% natural and save money too!
Thanks for vote up, Christine.
Christine Miranda from My office. on September 19, 2012:
Great hub, well written, very detailed. Thank you for taking the time to teach us all. Voted up & more.
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on September 19, 2012:
Yummy! It sounds easy to make. I know it´s delicious. I ´ll try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.
Alisa Arishina on September 19, 2012:
I have to add this hub to my bookmarks!