Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Making Pasta Sauce Is Fun
Pasta is a favorite dish in our family. We need pasta sauce to make pasta. Though pasta sauce is available in the stores, I did not like using it as I was apprehensive about the quality and the ingredients included in the recipe.
One day I decided to try and make my own pasta sauce. It turned out that making pasta sauce was so easy and simple. It took me about 25–30 minutes to make it from scratch to make a cup full of yummy pasta sauce. Now, I am free to use it when I want to make pasta for my family. So, let me share this detailed recipe for homemade pasta sauce with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Makes a cup of pasta sauce
- 4 tomatoes, ripe and red, finely chopped
- 3–4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 tsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp mixed Italian seasoning, alternatively, you can use dried oregano
- 4 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- sugar, not required, as tomato sauce has some sugar
- 4–5 tsp olive oil
Step-by-Step Instructions and Images for Making Pasta Sauce
- Pulse chopped tomatoes in a mixer or blender, so as to get a coarse puree. The puree should be such that, there should be a few chunks of tomatoes in it. Keep aside.
- Heat olive oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the chopped garlic. Sauté over medium heat until they are brownish and crispy.
- Add chopped onions. Continue sautéing until they also turn brownish.
- Add tomato puree. Throw in some salt. Continue stir-cooking until tomatoes get cooked and the mixture becomes thick.
- Now, add tomato sauce. Mix well. Continue stir-cooking until the mixture becomes moderately thick and starts showing some oil on the edges.
- Add Italian seasonings, red chili powder, pepper powder, chopped basil, and remaining salt.
- Mix well. Sauté over medium-low heat until the sauce comes as a single lump and gets to the proper consistency. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite pasta sauce is ready! Make yummy pasta and indulge!
- You can store this sauce in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an air-tight jar.
- For longer shelf-life, store it in the freezer. Use it as and when needed.