Minnesota Cooking: How to Make Pickled Chicken Gizzards and Hearts
Pickled Chicken Gizzards and Hearts
Chicken Gizzards and Hearts Need Pre-Boiling
Chicken gizzards need to be washed, placed in a large stock pot, covered with water, and then lightly boiled for three hours.
They need to be boiled so that they become tender. This takes up to three hours. The water that you cook them in should have some sort of salty seasoning added to it. A package of Lipton Onion Soup mix would work. We did a venison roast the day before with Lipton Herb and Garlic, which made the roast taste amazing.
I did not have another package, so I used a Garlic, Herb, and Wine marinade package from McCormick. This was added to the boiling water. I also added two frozen garlic gloves to the water and two boullion cubes I don't recall if I added canning salt, but if I did, it was 2 tablespoons.
- 4 pounds raw chicken gizzards/hearts
- 1 package Garlic, Herb and Wine Marinade, McCormick
- 2 boullion cubes Chicken Flavor
- 2 tablespoons Canning Salt
- 1 package, prepared Mrs. Wages Spicy Pickle Mix, 2 cups per jar
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, per jar
- Boil gizzards in water for 3 hours. Enough water to cover the gizzards. 3 quarts. The water should have 2 chicken boullion cubes, Grill Mates Garlic, Herb and Wine dry marinade and 2 whole garlic cloves.
- After three hours of boiling, drain the gizzards and place gizzards in a clean quart jar. Place 2 garlic cloves in each jar and fill with Mrs Wages Spicy Pickle brine. Seal jar with Kerr Canning lid. Let cool.
- Place in refrigerator.
Discard the Original Water
You will remove the gizzards from the water that you boiled them in. Discard the water.
Gizzards go into a jar. Add two garlic gloves. I use peeled, frozen cloves. Fill jar with brine. Put lid on jar. Let cool. Put in refrigerator. Eat in two days.
There is no way to determine the nutritional value of these gizzards. There is no way to determine how much salt or garlic or any ingredient is in them.
The Brine Mix
I used Mrs. Wages Spicy Pickle Mix in the jar. Their mix. My vinegar and water. I follow their directions on the label.