Mouthwatering Vegetarian Black Bean, Avocado, and Mango Salsa
Colorful Salsa Adds Flavor to Any Potluck or Gathering
I first enjoyed this salsa at a family reunion. My mom made it, and when I asked for the recipe, she rattled off a few ingredients. Much to my surprise, the salsa was as easy to make as she promised it would be.
Over the years, I've tweaked this recipe to reflect my own preferences. There are many different ingredients you can add, according to your own taste. The basic recipe is included here. Feel free to add your own twist and share your ideas in the comments.
Have You Tried This? Please Rate It
- 1 Anaheim pepper, roasted and diced small
- 1 pasilla pepper, roasted and diced small
- 1 (or more to taste) jalapeño pepper, roasted and diced small
- 1/2 each red, yellow, and orange pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 bunch green onion, diced small
- 3-4 avocados, chopped
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 mangos, chopped
- 2 cans sweet corn, drained
- 2 cans whole black beans, drained
- i bunch cilantro, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Remove seeds, seed membranes, and stems from Anaheim, pasilla, and jalapeño peppers. Slice peppers and broil on high for about 5-10 minutes, until skins are blistered. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. *Note* You can use any type of fresh peppers you like. If you don't want hot salsa, leave out the jalapeno. If fresh peppers are not available, use canned mild chile peppers.
- Remove seeds from red, yellow and orange peppers. Dice into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Dice celery and green onions and add to bowl. Mince garlic and add to vegetables.
- Peel and chop mango, tomatoes, and avocados. Add to vegetable mix. (Note: You can add more avocados or tomatoes for your own taste. When avocados are not on sale, I usually use fewer. Also, you can substitute a pint of cherry tomato medley for color and flavor.)
- Drain corn and black beans. Add to salsa and stir all ingredients gently.
- Finely mince cilantro and add to salsa. Squeeze the juice of 2 limes directly into the bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Deborah Demander