Pickled Mango Side Dish (Uppinakai Tambuli)
A Mouthwatering Side Dish In Five Minutes!
Many people love pickles. Though there are a wide variety of pickles that you can buy in a store, I often prefer to buy authentic mango pickles. Tender pickled mangoes immersed in spicy sauce are crunchy and awesome.
You can preserve them for two or three years. Though the color will become darker over time, they will still be good for use. I made this side dish from a batch that I made some time ago.
Pickled mangoes impart many health benefits. They are excellent antioxidants. They help in digestion. Moreover, they are mouthwatering condiments.
Pickled mango side dish (Uppinakai Tambuli is the Kannada name for this) is yogurt-based and mildly spicy. Pair it with some steamed rice and eat at the beginning of the meal. This will keep your stomach cool and act as an appetizer as well.
Now, let's learn how to make this side dish.
- 4-5 pickled mangoes, preferably picked from an old pickle.
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 dry red chili, less spicy variety
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ghee or oil
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt or curd, medium sour
- water as required
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Pickled Mango Side Dish
- Roast cumin seeds with a few drops of ghee. Keep aside for cooling.
- Wash pickled mangoes in water. Roughly chop them. Put them into a mixer or blender.
- Add grated coconut, roasted cumin, and broken dry red chili. Grind adding curd or water to get a smooth paste. Collect it in a mixing bowl.
- Be careful while adding salt because the pickled mangoes already contain some salt in them.
- Now, add remaining curd and salt. Mix well. Add more water if required to adjust the consistency.
- This side dish should be moderately thick in consistency.
- Adding a tempering to this side dish will enhance the taste.
- For making the tempering, heat ghee in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Mix once. Turn off the heat. Pour it on the side dish(uppinakai tambuli)
- Mix once.
- Serve this yummy side dish with steamed rice. Eat the combo at the beginning of the meal. This will act as an appetizer.
Some Important Tips About Pickled Mango Side Dish
I used pickled mangoes picked from the actual mango pickle. These tender mangoes are salty and spicy because they have absorbed salt and spices from the pickle. Therefore, I used less salt and a small portion of the dry red chili in my recipe.
If you are using only salted pickled mangoes, add a little bigger dry red chili. However, see that this dish be less spicy.