I love to share advice and tips gleaned from my own experiences.
This is a super quick and easy recipe to make from scratch. It calls for only five ingredients and takes just 30 minutes to prepare, You probably already have most of the items in your kitchen pantry, and if not you can improvise with one or two things.
While this is not a completely authentic curry sauce made from scratch, I think it tastes just as nice.
Once you make your own homemade sauces, you won't ever buy the packet stuff in the supermarkets again. There is a massive difference in taste between the two, and the homemade version is far superior.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree/paste
- 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup tomato passata
- In a small container, mix the all-purpose flour, curry powder and tomato puree/paste with a spoon until it forms a loose, crumbly type of paste mixture.
- Dissolve 1 vegetable stock cube in 1/2 pint of just-boiled water. Stir it into the water really well and set it aside to cool. After 10 minutes, give your stock another stir and it should be ready to use. If it is still a bit hot, you can add some cold water to it. (If you add your paste to stock that is too hot, it could end up clumping.)
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and add the flour, curry and tomato puree/paste mixture to it.
- Whisk the stock and the dry paste together till all of the paste has dissolved into the stock.
- Add in the tomato passata sauce and stir the mixture in with a wooden spoon.
- Place on a medium heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. The sauce will reduce down a little as it cooks. Stir the sauce occasionally so it doesn't burn. Once the sauce begins to thicken, it is done.
- This recipe makes just under a pint of curry sauce once it is ready.
To ensure you get rid of any lumps in the sauce, whisk your stock with the flour, tomato puree and curry powder paste.
Read More From Delishably
- Stock: If you don’t have vegetable stock in your pantry then you can just use chicken or beef stock. Either one of these is fine. I would use vegetable stock if I was serving it with chips or vegetables. If I was eating it with protein, then I would use beef stock for a beef dish and chicken stock for a chicken dish. The curry will hide most of the flavour from the stock.
- Curry Powder: If you don't like mild curry, then choose the hot curry powder option. But mild is always a good option for starters.
- Flour: If you don't have all-purpose flour, then you can use self-raising flour. I have done this when I didn't have the other flour and it hasn't caused any issues with the recipe.
How to Reheat
Once this is cooled down, you can store it in an airtight container. It will keep for two days in the fridge.
When you want to use it you can just reheat it in a saucepan or a microwave with a tiny bit of water to loosen it up a bit.
- Onions: If you want to add additional flavour to your sauce, you can also add sliced onions to the sauce. Peel an onion and cut it into quarters. Separate the layers of one quarter and add this to the curry sauce.
- Peppers: You could also add some green peppers to this curry sauce. Again I would cut a pepper in half and split one half into six slices and add this to your sauce.
You could also chop your onion and pepper down into smaller pieces if you don't like it in larger sizes.
These two vegetable don’t need to be cooked prior to adding them to the curry sauce. Just mix them in with the sauce once it's ready to be put on the heat.
How to Reduce the Recipe to Serve 2
If you want to make a smaller portion of this curry sauce which would be enough for about one to two people, then all you need to do is reduce the amount of ingredients you are using for the sauce.
So that would be 1 tablespoon of curry powder, flour and tomato puree/paste. You will only need about a 1/3 cup of tomato passata and 150 ml of stock.
Follow the same procedure as above and you should get about half a pint or less.
Homemade Curry Sauce
© 2020 Sp Greaney