How to Make Arrabiata Sauce Pasta
Arrabiata sauce is a tangy tomato sauce that is often served with penne pasta. You may have eaten this dish in an Italian restaurant. This sauce is exceptionally easy to make and requires very few ingredients. You might even already have most of the ingredients in your home!
I love making this Arrabiata because of its unique taste, and I often failed to recreate the same fabulous taste that I would get while eating at Italian restaurants. So after a lot of trial and error and trying new recipes every now and then, I finally got to the point where I was able to create the delicious recipe you'll find below.
What I Like About This Recipe
What I like the most about this recipe is how fresh ingredients can be used to make a flavorsome and fragrant pasta sauce in about 20 minutes. It is a super quick recipe that would be perfect for when you have guests arriving on short notice or you want to make something special yet simple for kids.
Read on to know more about the recipe.
- 4 medium size tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 medium size capsicum chopped, optional
- 1 small onion chopped, optional
- 3-4 pods of garlic
- Salt, as per taste
- Pepper, as per taste
- Red chili powder, optional and as per taste
Instructions for Cooking the Pasta and the Sauce
- Take a saucepan and put 2 cups of pasta in the pan. Add water to it, almost 3/4 of a litres, enough to cover the pasta and cook it. You can add some salt and oil to it, to cook the pasta through and through.
- Cook the pasta for about 10 minutes. You should cook as mentioned on the packet of the pasta.
- Chop the four tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Chop three pods of garlic finely and keep aside.
- Take another pan, while the pasta is cooking. Take 1/4 cup of olive oil, and add it to the pan. Heat the oil for about 10-15 seconds at medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the oil and cook till its nice and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes once the garlic is cooked.
- Add seasonings like oregano, chili flakes, dry basil as per your likings. Add salt, pepper as per taste. You can add chili powder in case you want to make the sauce a little spicy.
- Cover the top of the pan and cook the sauce for about 8-9 minutes. Keep checking in between and stirring the sauce. You can add a little water to ensure, the sauce is not very thick.
- Once, your sauce is prepared keep aside.
- This step is totally optional. Sauté the chopped onions and capsicum in a separate pan in a little olive oil. You can add other veggies of your choice like broccoli, baby corn, etc. Keep aside.
- Add your sautéed vegetables (optional), sauce and the cooked pasta together.
- Serve the pasta in a bowl. Your homemade arrabiata sauce pasta is ready to be enjoyed.
- While heating the oil, do not overheat it as it can burn the garlic that would be added later.
- Try to add seasonings, less at first. It can be added on later while tasting.
- You can add fresh basil leaves to the recipe instead of the dry basil leaves.
- While serving the pasta, you can finely chop the basil leaves and add it on top of the pasta. It will give a freshness to the pasta.
- You can also add parmesan cheese in the recipe.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe and would try this at home. Everyone in your home will enjoy this simple yet extremely testy recipe.