Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney Recipe
Ridge gourd Peel Chutney/Sauce
Waste Not, Want Not
Whenever you use ridge gourd, don't waste its peel. You can make a healthy and delicious chutney with it. This chutney tastes like ridge gourd. Roasted lentils give this sauce a pleasant aroma.
To make this chutney, you have to cook the peels. Then, grind the peels with grated coconut, roasted white lentils, roasted coriander seeds, dry red chilies, tamarind, and salt. Done! Your favorite spicy chutney is ready.
It takes just a few minutes to make this yummy side dish.
Serve cooked rice, dosa, idli, etc., with this chutney. Enjoy the taste.
- 1 bowl ridge gourd peels, cooked
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp white lentils/urad dal
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 6 dry red chilies, moderately hot, broken
- gooseberry-sized tamarind, soaked in water
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp oil, preferably coconut oil
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney/Sauce
- Collect the ridge gourd peels in a container. Pressure cook them up to a whistle and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can cook them in a deep-bottomed pan. Add some water to it and cook till they become soft. Keep aside for cooling.
- Take oil in a small pan. Add white lentils and coriander seeds. Saute till they become golden brown.
- Add broken dry red chilies. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Take cooked ridge gourd peels in a mixer or blender. Add roasted lentils, coriander seeds, grated coconut, and red chilies.
- Add soaked tamarind. Throw in some salt. Grind together, adding water little by little to get a near-smooth paste.
- Collect it in a serving dish. Ridge gourd peel chutney is ready!
- Serve rice, dosa, or idli with this chutney. You can use this spicy chutney/sauce as a side dish for any meal.