Savory Almond and Black Walnut Pesto
I planted an herb garden this year and came up with this recipe to use up all of my herbs! Pesto is a great alternative to marinara. It's a great spread for bread or a topping on pasta or a baked potato.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil, stems removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon black walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Add the fresh herbs, garlic, nuts, Parmesan cheese, red wine vinegar and spices to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse continuously until mixed thoroughly (scrape side of bowl as needed).
- Turn processor on and pour in olive oil from the top. Process until mixture is smooth (scrape side of bowl as needed). Your pesto is ready to be enjoyed.
- If any is left over, store covered with plastic wrap directly on the pesto and in air tight container.