Homemade Indian-Style Tomato Ketchup/Sauce Recipe
A delightfully sweet, spicy, and tangy-tasting recipe, this is my homemade Indian-style tomato ketchup prepared with fresh tomatoes. This recipe uses no artificial color, flavor, or preservatives.
Tomatoes provide several vitamins and minerals, and they are especially rich in the antioxidant lycopene; the redder the color, the higher the lycopene content. Cooking tomatoes increases their lycopene content.
Make this sauce when tomatoes are in season. Not only is this when they are available at the cheapest price, but it is also when they are at their freshest and most optimal quality. Use red, firm, and blemish-free tomatoes for best results.
- 250 ml water
- 1 kg tomatoes, chopped
- 100 grams onions, sliced
- 50 grams garlic, cloves, peeled
- 50 grams ginger, grated
- 200 grams sugar
- 15 grams salt
- 10 grams garam masala
- 10 grams red chili powder
- 200 ml white vinegar
- In a pressure cooker add the chopped tomatoes, sliced onions, garlic cloves, and grated ginger. Add the water and close the pressure cooker. Keep the heat on high, and at the first whistle lower heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Put off the heat, and open the cooker when pressure subsides.
- Blend the veggies to a fine puree then strain out the pulp. You can use a hand blender for this.
- We need to cook the pulp now. Keep the heat on high and let the pulp come to a boil.
- Now reduce heat to medium and add the sugar. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves. Let the pulp cook while you prepare an extract of the garam masala & red chili powder, in water, on another burner.
- When the extract is ready, strain it directly into the pulp and mix. Cook the tomato pulp until it becomes thicker.
- Add the vinegar now and mix well. Cook the tomato pulp for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat until it gets to a sauce-like consistency. Do a plate to check there is no extra water remaining in the sauce.
- Now put off the heat and mix in the salt. Let the tomato sauce cool down completely; then store it in a dry, sterilized bottle.
Homemade Indian Style Tomato Sauce/Ketchup
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly