How to Make Four Easy Cream Sauce Recipes for Noodles
Rich Velvety-Smooth Cream Sauce
Top your noodles with delicious cream sauce using one of the four sauce recipes below
There's nothing nicer than a plateful of noodles topped with a rich cream sauce. Why use cream in sauce making? Cream gives sauces a velvety texture that is hard to beat.
A cream sauce isn't hard to make and is very similar to white sauce. I believe that knowing how to do this is an essential skill for home cooks. If a person can make a white sauce, they can make a cream sauce. The ingredients and process are nearly identical.
Like white sauce, cream sauce uses a just a few ingredients and can be made in minutes. And, no worries, cream does not curdle.
The four recipes in this article can be called on any time you want to top your noodle dishes.To make any of these sauces, you'll need a whisk to ensure a your cream sauce is smooth and free of lumps.
Plain Cream Sauce for Noodles
Plain and perfect describes this cream sauce.
- Melt 2-3 tbsp butter in a pan.
- Whisk in 1-2 tbsp flour.
- Add 1 cup 18% cream + 1/2 milk.
- Simmer, stirring until thickened. Sauce will thicken as it cooks.
Top noodles with plain cream sauce and garnish with finely chopped chives and parsley. (Optional: add cooked crumbled bacon or left over chopped ham to noodles and stir in to combine and heat before topping with sauce.)
Chicken Cream Sauce for Homemade Noodles
If you like rich-tasting sauces, you'll love this cream sauce. Using real cream gives this sauce an incredible texture.
- Melt 2-3 tbsp. butter in saucepan with 1 clove of crushed garlic.
- Whisk in 2-3 tbsp. flour.
- Add 1 can of chicken broth. Stir until thickened and reduce heat.
- Whisk in 1 cup of cream (or can milk).
- Season with freshly grated pepper, salt to taste, and a dash of parsley or fresh dill.
Ladle over noodles and dust with freshly grated Parmesan.
Mushroom Sauce for Noodles
Brown 1 cup of sliced mushrooms in a pan with real butter and add to cream sauce.
Cheese Sauce for Noodles
A basic cheese sauce can be used to top a plate of noodles or macaroni.
- Melt 2-3 tbsp butter in a pan
- Whisk in 1-2 tbsp flour
- Add 3/4 cup of cream + 3/4 cup of milk
- Simmer, stirring until thickened
- Add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
Getting your Cream Sauce "Just Right"
A bigger batch of cream sauce can easily be made by adjusting the amounts of butter, flour, and cream.
- If a thinner sauce is desired, simply add more cream.
- If your cream sauce isn't thick enough, in a separate pan, melt more butter and whisk in more flour, add a little milk or cream; stir until smooth and add in to the original cream sauce.
- Always use real butter and cream
- Use a whisk to ensure that your sauce is free of lumps
- Sauce only needs to simmer to thicken (this will prevent sticking and burning)
- Stir frequently with whisk to prevent sticking
Some people are hesitant to use cream in sauce making, fearing it will curdle. It won't, if you prepare it correctly, following the tips in this article.
Do you Make Your Own Noodle Sauces?
© 2011 Athlyn Green