10 Things to Do With Leftover Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Homemade cranberry sauce is incredibly easy to make and is a wonderful accompaniment to a traditional roast turkey dinner. Once you make your own cranberry sauce you may never want to buy the canned sauce again.
There are lots of ideas for using up turkey leftovers, but what do you do with the leftover cranberry sauce you've made?
Where I live, bags of fresh cranberries are generally only available around Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I like to make up a big batch of cranberry sauce when I have the opportunity. I've discovered there are lots of delicious possibilities for using up any leftover cranberry sauce. Here are ten ideas:
1. Add cranberry sauce to muffins or quick breads
One of my favourite ways to use up leftover cranberry sauce is to add it to muffins and quick breads. Just add the cranberry sauce to your favourite muffin or loaf recipe, or try my recipe for Banana Cranberry Sauce muffins at the end of this article. These muffins are great for breakfast, brunch or for a quick snack. They freeze well too.
Cranberry sauce goes well with any of the following, but don't be afraid to experiment:
- Pumpkin loaf or muffins
- Lemon loaf
- Chocolate chip muffins
- Oatmeal muffins
- Banana bread or banana muffins
2. Make cranberry syrup
You can make a tasty cranberry syrup by adding a few tablespoons of orange juice to your cranberry sauce. Serve the syrup warm as a topping for pancakes, waffles or crepes. It also makes a delicious topping for cheesecake and other desserts.
3. Pair cranberry sauce with cheeses
Put some cheese on a cracker or toasted french bread, and top with a small spoonful of cranberry sauce for a quick and easy appetizer or snack. Good choices for cheese to go with cranberry sauce include:
- Goat cheese
- Cream cheese
4. Add it to a sandwich
Leftover cranberry sauce is a tasty addition to many different types of sandwiches. Here are a few suggestions:
- Roast turkey or chicken sandwich
- Grilled cheese sandwich - experiment with different types of cheeses to find your favourite combination
- Use it instead of jam on a peanut butter sandwich
5. Make a cranberry smoothie
Cranberry sauce is a delicious addition to smoothies. Add a spoonful or more to your favourite fruit smoothie recipe for a wonderful colour and flavor boost. Since there's already sugar in the cranberry sauce you'll want to avoid adding extra sweeteners.
For a quick and easy smoothie, try mixing strawberry or vanilla yogurt, a banana and 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce in a blender. If you prefer a thinner smoothie, just add some milk or orange juice.
6. Cook cranberry meatballs
For an easy appetizer or meal, mix cranberry sauce with chili sauce or BBQ sauce and frozen cooked meatballs and heat in a slow cooker for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve the meatballs over noodles or rice or on their own as an appetizer. These also are a great food to bring to a potluck.
7. Mix it with cream cheese
Blend leftover cranberry sauce into cream cheese to make a delicious spread for bagels or crackers. You can also spread the cranberry cream cheese spread onto tortillas, roll them up and slice them to make Cranberry Pinwheels.
8. Make a cocktail with it
If you don't want to eat any more cranberry sauce, and you are too tired to cook anything else, you can turn your leftover cranberry sauce into a delicious cocktail.
Check out the video below for an easy cocktail recipe using cranberry sauce, bourbon, amaretto and ginger ale.
9. Give it away
Most people appreciate homemade food gifts. If you've made a big batch of homemade cranberry sauce, consider putting some into a pretty jar and giving it to a neighbour or friend.
10. Freeze it
Homemade cranberry sauce freezes well. If you make a big batch or cranberry sauce, you can freeze some in small containers or freezer bags to use later in the year. I like to have some in my freezer to serve with a roast chicken or to use in baking and smoothies.
Banana Cranberry Sauce Muffin Recipe
Ingredients for Banana Cranberry Sauce Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar)
- 1 egg
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour (I used 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce (you can use more or less, depending how much you have available)
- 1/2 cup optional add-ins, eg. chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, chopped dark or white chocolate
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add mashed bananas and mix lightly.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix until blended.
- Add optional add-ins such as nuts or chocolate, if using.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins.
- Add a spoonful of cranberry sauce to each muffin. Stir gently to swirl sauce into batter.
- Bake at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 20 minutes. Muffins are done when lightly browned and toothpick inserted inside muffin comes out clean.
More by this Author
Helpful tips and information for cooking a chicken in a crockpot or slow cooker. Includes recipes for barbecue chicken and other variations.
Five ways to cook turkey without using your oven. Includes videos.
Guidelines and tips for eating healthy meals at Italian restaurants, including healthy menu choices, and foods to avoid.