White Gravy With No Bacon or Sausage Grease
We rarely cook bacon or sausage. So, when I made biscuits the other night and my husband asked if I could make gravy to go with it, I was not sure that I could. We didn't have any bacon or sausage in the house, so I improvised—and it came out terrific! I would like to share this recipe with you. If you are looking for a way to make gravy without bacon or sausage grease, then try out this recipe, and let me know how you like it.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 to 6 People
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter (I used margarine this time)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
- 4 cups milk
Read More From Delishably
- Heat the margarine or butter until melted (medium heat).
- Add the flour salt and pepper (I use a flour sifter) while whisking continuously with the other hand, until smooth and browned according to your taste. I cooked it for about 5 minutes. Honestly it all depends on how much gravy you want and how thick you want it. That's the great thing about gravy, if it's too thick, add more milk, if it's too thin, add more flour.
- Pour in the milk slowly while whisking to avoid getting lumpy.
- Continue cooking and whisking until thickened. (I had a very sore arm, I seriously need to start using my Shake Weight.) It will also thicken more as it sits. If it is too thick, you can whisk in a little milk to thin it up a bit.
Do You Like White Gravy Without Drippings?
© 2015 SUNSHYNE