About a year ago my family started the Keto diet. I consider it a lifestyle change and focus on what I can have rather than what I can't.
White Gravy With No Bacon or Sausage Grease
We rarely cook bacon or sausage. So, when I made biscuits the other night and my husband asked if I could make gravy to go with it, I was not sure that I could. We didn't have any bacon or sausage in the house, so I improvised—and it came out terrific! I would like to share this recipe with you. If you are looking for a way to make gravy without bacon or sausage grease, then try out this recipe, and let me know how you like it.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 to 6 People
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter (I used margarine this time)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
- 4 cups milk
- Heat the margarine or butter until melted (medium heat).
- Add the flour salt and pepper (I use a flour sifter) while whisking continuously with the other hand, until smooth and browned according to your taste. I cooked it for about 5 minutes. Honestly it all depends on how much gravy you want and how thick you want it. That's the great thing about gravy, if it's too thick, add more milk, if it's too thin, add more flour.
- Pour in the milk slowly while whisking to avoid getting lumpy.
- Continue cooking and whisking until thickened. (I had a very sore arm, I seriously need to start using my Shake Weight.) It will also thicken more as it sits. If it is too thick, you can whisk in a little milk to thin it up a bit.
Do You Like White Gravy Without Drippings?
© 2015 SUNSHYNE
Jennifer Daley on May 22, 2020:
I joined Delishably to be able to post this comment. This gravy is AMAZING! My husband has Alpha gal. It's caused by the bite from a lone star tick and causes you to become allergic to mammal meat and products. This means he can't eat meat from anything that walks on 4 legs. No pork, beef, venison, etc. He loves (loved) biscuits and gravy and hasn't had it for over 4 years. I googled, just this morning, "white gravy without meat grease" and this recipe came up. I just made it and WOW! I could kick myself for not looking for this before now. He LOVES it and now biscuits and gravy are back on our menu! The next time I make it I'm going to add in some spicy turkey sausage crumbles. Luckily, he has not had an issue with dairy like many with Alpha gal and I was able to use butter, but I'm sure margarine or plant butter would work fine. I really can't thank you enough!
Dee on April 12, 2020:
We tried this today and it turned out great! Thank you for this recipe, it's a keeper!
Amoreena on April 12, 2020:
My stomach doesn't tolerate pork. So when I saw this recipe I had to try it. It's delicious
SUNSHYNE (author) from California, US on April 15, 2018:
Lisa thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback.
Lisa Tipton on April 15, 2018:
This was the best gravy I've tried. Thank you it wad delicious. I love gravy but didn't want to use meat grease or oil, oil tastes bad when you make gravy. I love the butter recipe it was really good.
SUNSHYNE (author) from California, US on May 25, 2017:
It really is so good. I love gravy. I don't eat it a lot, but I'm here visiting my daughter in Texas and gravy seems to be popular.
Tomi Smith on May 25, 2017:
I might have to try this out one day. We love sausage gravy and this one sounds very similar.
Angel Van Atta from Delhi, California on March 02, 2015:
Omg!!! Mmmmmmmmmmm! I cannot wait to try this one, too!!!