Best New York Strip Steak Marinade
New York Strip Steak Marinade
New York Strip steak is delicious on the grill and the perfect marinade can make it amazing. This is one of those marinade recipes you will keep forever and use again and again.
This recipe is from a book that came with a newly purchased grill about 15 years ago. The book was called Barbeque Genius. Inside this book was a recipe for a steak marinade created by Ted Witzel.
The marinade was developed specifically for the New York Steak. It is an excellent marinade that is easy to put together with simple ingredients that are often staples in the kitchen. It adds just the right flavor to a succulent grilled strip steak.
What is the Best Steak Cut?
The tenderness of your grilled steak depends on the cut of meat more than anything else. It is best to spend a little extra money to get a good cut of beef that will turn out juicy and tender on the grill. Here are the top five cuts:
- Porterhouse steak - this is the top of the line cut of steak with a price tag to match! It is cut from the short loin and has the familiar T-bone shape with meat on both sides.
- T-Bone - this is a smaller version of the Porterhouse; still a t-bone shape and cut from the short loin.
- New York Strip - this is a very popular cut that is not as expensive but still tender. It is also cut from the short loin. It can be substituted for recipes that call for the Porterhouse or T-bone.
- Filet Mignon - a smaller cut of beef taken from the tenderloin.
- Rib steak or Rib Eye - just as the name implies this cut of beef is from the rib area.
Marinades for Steaks: Why use them?
Flavour. The main reason to marinate your steaks before grilling is to enhance the flavour of the meat.
Contrary to popular belief, soaking your meat in acidic liquids does not tenderize the meat to any great degree. That is why it is best to purchase a good cut that is known to be tender. The acid ingredient in typical marinades tends to dry out the meat and should be balanced out by another liquid.
Marinades can only be absorbed by the meat to a certain extent and often do not penetrate through the entire cut.
If you are looking for liquids to tenderize your meat think dairy! Milk, buttermilk and yogurt have historically been used to tenderize game.
If you are not looking to enhance the flavour of your meat, then a marinade is not required.
Homemade Marinade for Steak
The best marinades for red meat are a combination an acid ingredient, an oil and another balancing liquid. If the ingredients only contain an acid and an oil; it may be too drying.
Typical acidic ingredients include:
- vinegars (i.e. balsamic or malt)
- citrus juices (i.e. lemon or orange)
Now for the oil - You can use any type of oil. An expensive olive oil is not going to make much difference to the quality of your marinade so any vegetable oil will do.
Additional balancing liquids to add are commonly soy sauce, beer, and/or Worcestershire.
More often than not you can find a combination of these ingredients in the pantry. It's easy to make up a quick marinade if you are pressed for time you will just need the time for the meat to soak in it; unless you use an injector as described above.
Safety When Marinating Meats
Always use caution when working with raw meats. Clean up any areas where the meat has made contact with hot soapy water and ensure it is scrubbed well. Wash your hands frequently when handling raw meats.
When using a marinade follow these guidelines:
- Use a glass bowl; not plastic or metal. The acid ingredient can interact with metal and bacteria from the raw meat can be absorbed by the plastic.
- It is safer to marinate your meats in the refrigerator. If you are leaving it on the counter the maximum time to be out at room temperature is one hour.
- Do not keep the marinade for use after the raw meat has been immersed in it. It is best to keep some aside when it is freshly made if you want to use it as a sauce or bring it to the boil for a full five minutes.
Remember, food poisoning is a serious illness that can be deadly to some. Take the time to prepare your raw meats properly and clean up as you go along.
Recipe for Steak Marinade
- 1 clove garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
Method for Marinating Steaks
- Trim excess fat from the steak or slash with a knife to prevent curling.
- Rinse the steaks and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the above marinade ingredients in a glass dish.
- Marinate the steaks in a glass dish for one hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- If the steaks have been marinated in the fridge overnight be sure to bring them to room temperature before grilling.
Grilling the Perfect Steak
- On to the Grill!
- Preheat Barbeque on HIGH and brush the grills with Olive oil
- Place the steaks on one half of the Grill and turn that side down to MEDIUM
- Close the lid and grill for 2.5 minutes
- Open lid and rotate 1/4 turn to create a criss cross pattern on the steak
- Close the lid and grill for 2.5 minutes once again
- Then turn the steaks over onto the other side of the grill, turning it down to MEDIUM
- Close the lid and grill for 2.5 minutes
- Open lid and rotate 1/4 turn once again to create criss cross
- Close the lid and grill for another 2.5 minutes
Steak Marinate: Demonstration
Vegetables To Complement your New York Strip Steak
For a hearty meal, add potatoes.
- Wrap potatoes in foil
- Place on the grill
- Close lid and bake 30 minutes.
- Add some sour cream or butter when served.
A nice green vegetable to add is asparagus. You can grill asparagus too.
- Snap the tough ends off
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Shake some sea salt over them.
- Put on the grill and cover for about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Turn over and grill the other side another 3 or 4 minutes.
What is Your Favourite Food to Grill?
Perfect Grilled Steaks: Advice from a Chef
Recipes for Steak Marinade
- 10 delicious marinades for steak - Canadian Living
Want to add an extra zest to your steak this barbecue season? Try one of our flavour-packed rubs, sauces and marinades for steak.
- 15 Tasty Steak Marinade Recipes To Try : TipNut.com
Even more tasty marinades to try, find your favourite or find one for the ingredients you have on hand.
- How to Marinate Meat (plus 10 Meat Marinade Recipes) | Mark's Daily Apple
A Primal commitment to regular consumption of pastured, organic (expensive/hard-to-find) meats often means buying in bulk when a good price presents itself.
- Discovery Health "Top 5 Healthy Steak Marinade Ideas"
These healthy steak marinade ideas are big on taste and your health. See how you can reduce risk of heart disease and cancer with steak marinades.