I used to help in our family restaurant. I love good food and enjoy thinking up creative ways to cook and use leftovers to avoid food waste.
A Fresh, Healthy and Fast Tomato Sauce Recipe
This is the best tomato sauce for flavour and nutrition. When you make homemade tomato sauce, you can control what goes into it, so you'll know that it's all natural and can make sure you don't add too much salt or fat.
When you learn the secret of how to make this basic recipe, you can begin playing with variations using lemon juice, garlic, spices, herbs, or chili. If you prefer a milder flavour, you can also change the recipe to make a more bland tomato sauce.
There are many recipes for tomato sauce, but this one is beginner's level. It's so easy that you could ask your children to make it while you concentrate on the more difficult food.
Good for Pasta, Mincemeat, Taco Shells and More
This tasty sauce is the perfect accompaniment to meatballs, beef burgers, chicken, or pasta: The lemon juice gives it a fuller flavour, and the tiny amount of sugar reduces the tartness. My family loves it.
Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Small- or medium-sized saucepan
- Wooden or Teflon spoon for stirring
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knife
- Half an onion
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, or 1 pound chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Half teaspoon of sugar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
Read More From Delishably
- Chop up half an onion into small pieces and fry it in a small saucepan with a teaspoon of oil or butter until golden brown.
- If you are using tinned tomatoes, add the tin of chopped tomatoes including the juice to the saucepan. Alternatively, add one pound of fresh chopped tomatoes and one tablespoon of water.
- Add a teaspoonful of lemon juice, a teaspoon of mixed herbs, a sprinkle of salt, and half a teaspoonful of sugar. Optional: Add a crushed clove of garlic and a clove.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for two or three minutes (for tinned tomatoes) or, if using fresh tomatoes, until the tomatoes are tender (about five minutes).
Tomato Sauce Mixed With Minced Meat
You can vary this sauce by adding:
- Oregano, marjoram, coriander leaves, and/or mint, and also by adding a tiny amount of fresh or bottled chili.
- Pinches of powdered coriander and cumin for a more Middle Eastern flavour.
But beware, these herbs and spices have strong flavours that can be quite overpowering, so don't swamp the sauce with them. It is better to add a pinch at a time, stirring and tasting after each one, to make sure the flavours enhance without drowning the taste.
Share Your Feedback Below
It's so nice to hear from people all round the world. I love to get feedback (no pun intended).