I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
Here's a wonderful spinach soup recipe that is enriched with Italian seasonings. It is creamy, soft, and tempting. Natural ingredients make each sip refreshing. Fresh peas add crunchiness. Enjoy!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups spinach (palak), chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped lengthwise
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, etc.
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold water
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups water
- Collect, wash, and prepare all the ingredients. Make a paste of garlic, ginger and pepper. You can add water while grinding to thin, if needed. Mix the cornstarch with water, and set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan. Saute the chopped spinach until it is tender. Throw in the green peas and chopped carrots. Continue sauteeing over a low flame for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomato and ginger-garlic-pepper paste. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 2-3 glasses of water and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil and slowly pour in the cornstarch mix. Let the contents boil for two more minutes, then turn off the heat and add the Italian seasonings. Mix well and enjoy!
Health Benefits of Spinach Soup With Vegetables
I used many herbs, vegetables, spices, leafy greens, and butter, and each one of these has many health benefits:
- Spinach: This leafy green is a superfood. It contains protein, iron, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that are important for skin, hair, and bone health. It may help control blood glucose in diabetics, and it may be helpful in lowering the risk of blood pressure.
- Green peas: Green peas contain numerous nutrients like vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that may help improve vision and eye health. It provides antioxidant benefits, and it is also a source of omega-3 fats.
- Carrot: A power food, carrots help to maintain beautiful skin, and hair. They are also thought to improve vision and may help promote heart health. The vitamin A in carrots helps with digestion and flushing out toxins.
- Ginger and garlic: These popular herbs are known for their special medicinal properties. Both are believed to help to fight against infections, reduce inflammation, and have numerous other health benefits.
- Black pepper: Black pepper helps stimulate digestion. It contains vitamin C, which may help remove harmful free radicals.
- Italian seasoning: I used basil and oregano in this soup. Both of these herbs have anti-inflammatory properties, which may be helpful for fighting infections. They are also known for their antioxidant properties, which are beneficial for lowering the risk of heart disease.
Just to Tickle the Brain; A Small Quiz on Vegetables and Spices
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Which of these is a green leafy vegetable that we use?
- Which vegetable does not belong with others?
- Which of the following vegetable is a root we eat?
- sweet potato
- Which of these is responsible for the green color of the leafy vegetables?
- beta carotene
- Which of the following spice is known for hotness?
- cumin seeds
- black pepper
- sweet potato
- black pepper
Interpreting Your Score
If you got between 0 and 1 correct answer: moderate
If you got between 2 and 3 correct answers: good
If you got 4 correct answers: very good