Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Soothing Soup With Many Health Benefits
Barley coconut soup is creamy, smooth, and very delicious. The recipe doesn't take much time to prepare, and it is quite easy to make. It took me only 30 minutes to make this yummy soup.
Barley contains many essential nutrients that help keep you healthy and strong. In the Indian tradition, barley is considered to be soothing and comforting, and it is believed to be a good way to counteract the scorching effects of summer heat on the body. It is also believed that drinking barley water daily lowers body heat and helps facilitate healthy bowel movements.
Coconut milk has many health benefits, as well. It contains antioxidants and healthy fats that help strengthen the immune system and balance electrolytes. It may also be helpful in protecting against anemia.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/2 cup barley
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon green chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, peeled and cut in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnish
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash the barley. Soak it in the water for 10 minutes. Pressure-cook it along with 2 cups of water up to 4 whistles, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Check whether the barley has cooked. If not, cook it for some more time. Set aside.
- Add butter to a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the finely chopped garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Heat the pan. Saute the mixture until you get a nice aroma of the spices.
- Add chopped onions. Continue to saute until the onions become pinkish.
- Throw in chopped carrot, pepper powder, and some salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, milk, and cooked barley along with its water. Allow the mixture to boil for 5 minutes. Check the consistency and taste.
- Add salt to taste. Add water, if needed, to adjust the consistency. Turn off the heat. Your favorite barley coconut soup is ready to serve!
- Pour it into bowls and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaf. Enjoy the silky texture and lovely flavor!