Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Healthy and Delicious Soup
The vegetables and spices in this soup make it healthy and delicious. I used Italian dry herbs along with fresh ginger, garlic, and onions. Barley blends well with the veggies and spices to produce a thick, silky, and colorful soup.
Barley is a very nutritious grain that contains many vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant nutrients. It is low in calories and rich in fiber, which means that it is healthy for your digestion and may also be helpful in terms of weight loss.
This grain takes a long time to cook if you cook it straight away, but you can lessen the cooking time by soaking it in water first. Making this soup took me just 25 minutes.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 small cup barley, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil or butter (I used butter)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian mixed herbs (or any herbs of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash the barley once. Soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- Heat butter or oil in a pressure cooker. Add minced garlic and ginger. Saute for 1 minute.
- Throw in the chopped onions. Saute the mixture over low heat until the onions become pinkish.
- Add the chopped vegetables, soaked barley, and salt. Mix well. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add dried Italian mixed herbs and pepper powder. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 8 cups of water. Keep the heat at medium-high. Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Cover the cooker with the lid and place the weight. Cook it up to 2 whistles and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Open the lid once the pressure releases completely. Mix it once. Check for taste.
- This soup should have a thick or semi-solid consistency. Check for taste. Adjust the consistency by adding boiling water. Add salt if needed.
- Serve hot in bowls after sprinkling some freshly chopped coriander leaves on the top. Enjoy!