My Favourite Winter Warmer Recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Soup recipes are always winter warmers. They bring so much comfort during the winter months. As the days become shorter and the nights become longer and colder, why not spend some time in your warm kitchen and prepare this hearty pumpkin soup that is healthy and full of natural goodness. One way of keeping warm and satisfying your winter cravings is to sit down with a big bowl of steaming hot soup topped with freshly toasted wholemeal bread.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 kg pumpkin
- 2.5 litres beef or chicken stock
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Choose a good quality pumpkin for this recipe, otherwise the soup will not have that rich pumpkin taste. Butternut, Queensland Blue and Jarrahdale varieties give the best taste, colour and texture.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and cut the pumpkin into big chunks. Set aside and prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat up the olive oil and butter in a pot. Fry the onions until they are soft and fragrant. Mix in garlic and fry until the garlic turns golden brown but not burnt.
- Add in the pumpkin chunks, nutmeg, mixed herbs, pepper and salt. Stir and mix well.
- Pour in beef stock. The pumpkin chunks should be immersed in the beef stock. If not, top up with enough water to cover the pumpkins. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on high heat until the liquid is boiling.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until the pumpkins are cooked and soft. Use a fork to test if the pumpkins are already soft. Turn off heat.
- Leave the pot to cool before blending the pumpkin with a stick blender. Always take precautions when using a stick blender. Make sure the contents in the pot is not scalding hot when you use the appliance. A stick blender can stir up a lot of hot liquid that will splatter all over the kitchen and onto you as well! And that will be a disaster and very painful.
- When the pumpkins are cool enough, blend the soft chunks carefully until the soup is creamy and smooth.
- Heat up the pot of soup again and simmer until it is almost boiling. Add in cream and mix well. Turn off heat and the soup is ready.
I Love Soups!
How to Serve The Pumpkin Soup
You will need the following ingredients to serve with the creamy pumpkin soup and they will only take a minute to prepare.
- 1 slice wholemeal bread per person
- finely chopped parsley leaves
Toast the wholemeal bread until it is crispy on both sides. Cut the toasted bread into small cubes. Serve the soup in a big bowl. Add in the bread cubes and garnish with some chopped parsley. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper if desired.
Enjoy your creamy pumpkin soup!
Questions & Answers
© 2012 lady rain