French Onion Soup Recipe (a Dinner for Two)
Sweet Onion Soup Recipe
I do love French onion soup, but when I have it in a restaurant, I am always left wanting more. Those little bowls with the handles are cute, but more, please! The solution is to make it at home. Trust me, this is a meal with nothing else needed. Just follow a few easy steps down the path to French onion soup nirvana.
Servings: This recipe will give you two very large bowls of soup, but it can be divided into four of the traditional smaller bowls. Really, it is okay to serve the soup in a bowl without a handle. The most important thing about the bowl is that it is ovenproof, and it would be nice to have deeper bowls like the ones I use.
Prep time: Prep time is about 1 1/2 hours, so make sure you have the time available. The most time consumptive step is cooking the onions, and I must say that it is time well spent.
Tips: I prefer to place my cheese on the bread rather than trying to pick it off the sides of the bowl. An extra piece of bread works nicely for dipping after the floater is gone. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. It is a delicious memory!
So, let’s get started with this delicious onion soup recipe for two.
Prep and Cook Time
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yields: Two servings
- 3 medium large sweet onions, sliced
- 3 or 4 tablespoons butter, (melted)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups cooking sherry
- 26 oz. can Swanson’s all natural beef stock
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 2 French hard rolls
- 3/4 cup apple smoked Gruyere cheese, (grated)
- Slice the onions and cut them in half.
- Melt the butter in a large pan on medium low heat. Remember, butter sometimes contains salt.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan of melted butter and cook gently for 1 hour, giving the onions a stir now and then. The onions will sweat down and become soft as they begin to caramelize.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir. The flour will absorb the butter and the golden color of the roux will be beautiful.
- Add the cooking sherry. Remember, it contains salt.
- Add the Swanson’s all-natural Beef Stock (which contains salt).
- Add the beef bouillon for an extra flavor boost. (Contains salt.)
- Add your favorite seasonings. I used ground pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Mrs. Dash.
- Turn your heat up to medium for about 20 minutes. I cover and vent it. Turn the heat down if it starts to boil.
- Prepare your bread portion. I use large French hard rolls cut in half. I butter and put them under the broiler to lightly toast. I put two slices in each bowl and one on the side.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls.
- Float a half of a hard roll on top, toasted side up.
- Sprinkle each bowl with a generous amount of grated cheese. I use a delicious apple smoked Gruyere that is out-of-this-world delicious. The light, smokey flavor combines wonderfully with the onion. Cover the bread with the cheese.
- Place the bowls under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy with the extra half of toasted hard roll on the side.
I did not use all the broth in the bowls. I saved out about a cup to use another day, but you can serve it all up if you want.
- You can also use your own homemade stock.
- Vegetarians can use vegetable stock.
Place the French onion soup under the broiler for the final very important step. This is a good time to stand in front of the oven because once the cheese starts to melt, it can burn very easily. I like it a little browned and will rescue it from burning in just a few more seconds.
The soup bowls will be very hot, so be careful as you remove them from the oven. I took the bowls out individually rather than trying to handle them together on the baking pan.
Soup Broiling Instructions
When you place the soup bowls under the broiler, watch carefully. This is not a time to wander away from the oven after spending so much time in the preparation perfection. Broil until cheese is melted and starts to brown. Be careful not to burn the bread or cheese. The length of time will vary according to each oven, use of high or low broiler setting, if the soup is put into a cold or preheated broiler. Stand in front of the broiler and watch. Expect about 3 to 5 minutes, adjusted according to your oven and the amount of browning you prefer
Even Martha Stewart does not commit to how long to broil, nor can I.
I use apple smoked Gruyere by itself or combined it with baby or lacey Swiss. If you do not like a smokey flavor, you may use any Gruyere cheese of your choice.
If making more servings than two from the recipe, you may want to add more cheese so that everyone gets a generous amount.
How to Select the Sweetest Onions
Sweet Onion Lovers are now feasting on what is generally considered to be the best of the best sweet onions by many onion lovers. That would, of course only be the sweet, juicy and wonderful Vidalia onion. It stands alone at #1 at the Top!
In the land of sweet onions, there is the Vidalia and then there are the others.
Other Sweet Onions that I like when the Vidalias are not available include:
- Walla Walla
- Spanish Sweets
- Texas Sweets
- Peruvian Sweets
- Brazilian Sweets
Of the other sweet onions that I have tried, I would say the Walla Walla gets very high marks and some have actually been more pleasing to my palate than some Vidalias. The difference might just come down to the produce man’s secret.
I have gotten some onions that claimed to be sweet that have had me in tears when I sliced them. Vidalias and Walla Wallas seem to be tear free onions.
- The flatter the onion, the sweeter it will be.
- When picking out sweet onions, check to see that they are firm on both ends and avoid any with soft spots or bruising.
These days, with food prices going up, we have to shop smart and get the best products available for our money.
I hope that all of your onions are sweet!
Do you like French Onion Soup?
A Soup Recipe That Is Nirvana
If you try my delicious French Onion Soup Recipe for two, and you have selected the sweetest onions, you will be in Nirvana as you feast with delight.
This soup recipe is a stand alone meal that is suited for special occasions for two people to share together. It is nice for a great lunch to celebrate with or as a superb dinner to satisfy your tastes.
My Original Recipes
I create recipes by feel to satisfy my tastes, and others'. I always give ingredient options and suggestions for you to use when creating one of my original homemade recipes. Usually, I provide detailed instructions that are easy to follow. Trust me when I says that my recipes are yummy good and healthy for you.