I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
A Deliciously Creamy Green Soup
Milk and garlic make magic together in this green pea potato soup. Deliciously creamy and smoky, this soup, with its beetroot topping, is also loaded with nutrients.
- Green peas are a good source of vitamins K, B, and C, dietary fiber, protein, iron, and many other minerals.
- Potato is a low-calorie and nutrient-dense vegetable. It contains no fat, sodium, or cholesterol. It's also a good source of fiber, potassium, antioxidants, and vitamin C.
- Beetroot is high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and minerals. It ranks among the top ten antioxidant vegetables.
Making this delicious soup is quick and easy. It takes me only about 30 minutes to prepare it and feeds three people.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
- 1 cup potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup beets, finely chopped into cubes
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 2 cups milk
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/3 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp butter, for sauteing
- Heat 1/2 a teaspoon butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute until they become golden. Now, add green peas and potatoes. Add some salt. Stir-cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water. Cover the pan. Cook on low heat until the veggies are cooked.
- Transfer the mix to a mixer or blender.
- In the same pan, add 1/2 a teaspoon butter once again.
- Throw in diced beets. Add a small amount of salt. Stir-cook the beets by sprinkling water little by little, just enough to cook.
- This step may take about 7-8 minutes. You can cover the pan for a while to speed up the process. However, be careful that the beets don't burn.
- Collect it in a bowl. This is for topping the soup.
- Add milk to the mixer. Grind the green peas potato mix with milk to get a smooth puree.
- Transfer the puree to the same pan. Add remaining milk, remaining salt, and pepper powder. Add water to make it thin. Bring the mix to a gentle boil.
- Turn off the heat. Pour the soup equally into three bowls. Top each of the bowls with 1/3 of the sauteed beetroot.
- For keeping the beetroot cubes always on the top, make the puree thick by adding less water.
- If the soup is too thin, the beets may sink. This is not a problem. Eat the cubes along with the puree. Either way, this soup tastes great. Enjoy!