Homemade Clean Eating Broccoli and Cheese Soup
A Soul-Satisfying Soup
This is one of those dishes my children ask for over and over again, and it's a good one. My toddler calls this cheese soup. This particular recipe is also an easy one to toss together any night of the week, as we always have these ingredients on hand. Carrots and broccoli are some of the cheapest and most common vegetables on the market, and so they are ones we use in just about everything.
Soup is such a comforting dish, and it's an easy one to toss together on a busy weeknight when you have so much else going on. It doesn't need to be a cold winter night to enjoy a nice hot, creamy bowl of soup, but it surely helps. There's just something about tucking into the warmth of a creamy, delicious cheese dish that satisfies the soul.
And this can be made in the crockpot, Instant Pot, or even on the stove if you wish. In the crockpot or Instant Pot, I would simply omit the cheese and milk until after it has cooked and you are ready to eat it. Dairy doesn't do incredibly well when cooked all day long or at extremely high temperatures. But how easy would it be to toss your milk and cheese in when you get home and stir to melt?
Let me show you how I make mine!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup real butter
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups broth
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 1/2 cups cheese, grated
- pinch pink Himalayan salt
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Chop your onion and add it to your saucepan. Cook your onions until they are transparent.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, add your flour and combine using a whisk.
- Now add in your milk and whisk together to remove any lumps.
- Add in your broth, a little at a time, and mix with a whisk.
- Once finished, dump in your onions and stir.
- On the side, grate your carrots and add them to your pot.
- Chop your broccoli and add it to the pot as well.
- Stir and cook over medium for about 20 minutes until all veggies are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, grate your cheese.
- Add your cheese to the pot and mix for a few more minutes, until melted.
- Salt your soup and stir. Enjoy!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||207|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 23 g||35%|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 70 mg||23%|
|Sodium 250 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Writing up this recipe makes me hungry for some more broccoli cheese soup. It is about time to make it again! We like ours with thick French bread or at least some homemade garlic bread. This is one of our favorite dishes, and so it gets made quite frequently. We are a huge cheese kind of family as well, which doesn't help.
What makes this recipe stand out is that people usually use frozen broccoli and Velveeta cheese. However, we don't use processed food at all in our house. And honestly, this soup tastes 1000 times better with fresh broccoli and freshly grated cheddar cheese. The flavors really pop, and you can actually taste the yummy veggies. It's also a great deal healthier for you without added sodium, sugar, and chemicals.
This soup really comes together quickly and easily, making it the perfect meal for a busy evening. Give it a shot and let me know what you think in the comments below!
© 2018 Victoria Van Ness