I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Pumpkin is a widely grown vegetable that is extremely versatile in the kitchen. It can be used to in side dishes, soups, main dishes, and even desserts. Ladies' fingers (also known as okra or ochro) is the edible pod of a flowering plant. Okra is cultivated primarily in tropical countries, including, for example, many South Asian countries.
In this recipe, I'll share how to make a healthy and delicious pumpkin and okra stew.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
- 350 grams pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 150 grams pigs head, cleaned, boiled, and sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 100 grams okra (ladies' fingers), sliced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cooking oil, for sauteeing
- 4 medium bowl
- 1 small plate
- chopping board
- measuring cups
- cooking spoon
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute onion and garlic. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook pumpkin pieces.
- Add boiled pig's head, as well as the sauteed onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in water. Cook until pumpkin is almost tender.
- Add okra slices. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with rice.
Tips and Techniques
- Replace pork with any kind of meat such as chicken, beef, fish, or seafood.
- As an alternative to okra, try using snap peas or garden peas.
Questions & Answers
Question: How to alleviate slim in okra?
Answer: 1. Process of cooking. Frying, grilling or roasting okra won't make it too slimy even if you slice it.
2. Straight cut okra to avoid it from being slimy.
3. Cook okra as a whole especially if you're cooking it with water.
4. Wash it or add any ingredients with high acidity into the okra dish to avoid it. Some of these ingredients are lemon, tomato, and vinegar.
© 2019 Travel Chef