How to Make Creamy Chickpea Tomato Soup
Creamy Chickpea Tomato Soup Is a Winter Winner
Chickpeas are packed with nutrients. They are high in protein, iron, dietary fiber, phosphorous, zinc, and more. These tasty legumes blend nicely with the tomato puree and spices in this creamy soup.
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin B6, biotin, copper, folate, vitamin E, and more. This tangy vegetable gives a sharp taste and color to the soup.
Let me now share the step-by-step recipe for making this yummy and filling appetizer.
- 1 heaped cup boiled garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup carrots, cooked
- 3 spicy red chilies
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 inch diced ginger root
- 1 tsp dried oregano flakes, for garnish
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder, for garnish
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to your taste)
- 1/4 tsp olive oil or butter
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the acidity
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Soak garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in water overnight.
- Boil whole tomatoes in water until their skins open up a little. Drain the water. Set to cool. Once they are completely cold, remove the skins. Roughly chop the flesh, and set aside.
- Take the soaked chickpeas and cook them with some water, chopped carrots, and salt until they are soft. I used pressure cooker for this. It took about 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil or butter in a small pan. Add ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, and red chilies. Sauté them together for 1 minute. Turn off the stove.
- In a mixer or blender, combine the roasted spices, chopped tomatoes, cooked chickpeas, and cooked carrots.
- Transfer the puree to a saucepan. Add some salt and sugar. This soup should be thick. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Heat the soup, then turn off the stove. Your creamy chickpea tomato soup is ready!
- Pour it equally into four bowls. Garnish with red chili powder and dried oregano flakes.
- Enjoy sipping this nutritious, hot, and spicy soup on a winter day!
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 82 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|