How to Make Indian-Style Cream of Broccoli Soup
Here is my recipe for healthy, Indian-style cream of broccoli soup. Not only is it creamy, smooth, and delicious, it is also free of all-purpose flour, cornflour, and dairy cream. Although cream of broccoli soup is available in the market, making your own at home is much healthier because you can control exactly which ingredients are going in.
Broccoli is a superfood with some amazing health benefits, which is one of the reasons I like to cook with it whenever possible.
- 200 grams broccoli florets, washed and a part of the stalk left intact
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup young celery leaves
- 1 potato, washed, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- 3-4 garlic cloves, ground to a paste
- Place a pot on medium heat and put in the butter. Let it melt. Once butter melts, reduce heat to low and add in the garlic paste. Saute for half a minute.
- Put in the sliced onions. Stir and add in the chopped potatoes. Stir-cook for half a minute.
- Put in the water and 1/2 tsp of salt to help the veggies soften faster. Stir well and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the potato and onion should be soft. Add in the broccoli florets and celery leaves. Also, add in the remaining salt and black pepper powder.
- Stir to mix well and cover with a lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from heat and remove the lid. Let it cool down completely; then blend the mixutre to a fine paste.
- Add in the milk, give a stir, and let the broccoli soup come to a boil. Keep the heat on high. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 2-3 minutes so that it thickens.
- If you wish you can add cornflour to thicken it further. (I do not add any cornflour or all-purpose flour.)
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowls. Garnish with a couple of celery leaves.
- Serve immediately.
How to Make Indian-Style Cream of Broccoli Soup: Video Tutorial
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly