I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Miso soup is a traditional Japanese soup made with miso and dashi. Miso is a paste made from fermented soybeans and barley. Dashi is a stock made from dried kelp or dried bonito. These are both common ingredients in Japanese cooking.
Japanese cuisine is one of my favorites. I am amazed by their preparation and cooking techniques; they seem to be able to express themselves artistically through their food.
I often find myself craving Japanese food. This evening, I made my affordable version of miso soup that does not require dashi stock. Instead, I used plain water—and the end result tasted close to the traditional soup. I must say that I'm satisfied with it, and I invite you to give my recipe a try.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 150 grams tofu, cubed
- 25 grams miso powder
- 20 grams water spinach
- 1 tablespoon spring onions, chopped
- 1 litre water
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Read More From Delishably
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 plate
- measuring spoons
- weighing scale
- cooking spoon
- Pour water into the pot. Add the miso powder. Allow it to boil.
- Add tofu. Simmer for few minutes or until the tofu is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat. Add water spinach and spring onions. Cover the pot to cook the vegetables.
- Serve miso soup without dashi while still hot.
Miso Soup Without Dashi Stock Step-by-Step Procedure
Tips and Techniques
- Try using fresh miso paste rather than miso powder.
- Increase the amount of tofu, spinach, and spring onion if preferred.
- Add small slices of fish if desired.
- Replace plain water with fish or vegetable stock if available.
- This soup makes a great appetizer to any main dish.
More Japanese Recipes
- How to Make Garlicky Sweet Soy Glaze: A Japanese-Inspired Sauce
Why go to an expensive Japanese restaurant? Now you can prepare a classic Japanese sauce at home without worrying about your budget. Follow my easy recipe for galicky sweet soy glaze.
- How to Make Tokyo Tokyo Red Iced Tea: A Japanese-Inspired Drink
Have you ever eaten at Tokyo Tokyo? It's the most popular Japanese food restaurant chain in the Philippines. This restaurant offers a variety of delicious foods and drinks. Learn how I re-created their famous red iced tea at home.
© 2018 Travel Chef