Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
A Comforting and Warm Starter for the Winter
Winter makes a grand entry where I'm from, bringing cold pangs and calling for hot and spicy foods. My favorite way to beat the cold is to have a spicy and hot soup in the evening. It is truly comforting to have this appetizing soup, and it will keep you warm for hours.
This dish gets its hotness from the red chili flakes, pepper powder, garlic, and ginger. We use vinegar for the sourness. I used white vinegar in this recipe. You can use any other Chinese vinegar in place of white vinegar. This soup gets its smoky and sour flavor depending on the type of vinegar you use.
Many vegetables go into this soup. I made this soup with cabbage, carrots, French beans, onions, garlic, and ginger. Stir-cooked veggies make this soup a bit crunchy and flavorful.
Here is the recipe for this hot and sour soup recipe.
Hot & Sour Vegetable Soup
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Three bowls of soup
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup french beans, chopped lengthwise
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes or powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil, or any other oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp corn flour, mixed in 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3-4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, thinly sliced, I didn't have
- 2 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Hot & Sour Veggie Soup
- Heat butter or olive oil in a deep-bottomed pan or wok. Throw in finely chopped ginger, garlic, and onions.
- Saute for some time or until garlic becomes crispy.
- Throw in chopped veggies. Add salt. Saute on a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Mix corn flour with 1/4 cup water. Keep aside.
- Add water or vegetable stock. Mix well. Boil the mix for a minute. Add corn flour mixture. Continue boiling the mix for two more minutes.
- Add red chili flakes, pepper powder, and soy sauce. Give a nice boil.
- Finally, add vinegar. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle a few chopped coriander leaves, retaining a few for garnishing the soup.
- Pour the soup equally into three bowls. garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy sipping this steaming hot & sour soup!