Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Yummy, Mildly Spicy-Sweet Soup!
Almost daily, we make soup in our house. My family usually prefers spicy soups, but once in a while they like something more mild—something with just a hint of spice, with a bit of sweet mixed in. This yellow pumpkin soup recipe fits the bill perfectly!
Yellow pumpkin is naturally sweet, and its flesh becomes soft and creamy when cooked. Everyone in my family, including the kids, loves this soup's creaminess and smoothness.
Another plus about cooking with this vegetable is that it may have some health benefits. Research suggests that it may be beneficial to the heart. In addition, the fiber, potassium, and vitamin C may help boost immunity.
This soup takes about 30 minutes to prepare and serves 4 people. Here is my detailed recipe, accompanied by a photo tutorial. Enjoy!
- 2 cups yellow pumpkin, peeled and thinly chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, julienned
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder, for garnish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp fresh cream (optional, for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped onions and garlic. Sauté
until the onions turn pinkish.
- Add thinly chopped pumpkin. Sauté for 1 minute. Add salt and peppercorns. Mix well.
- Pour in 4 cups of water and stir. Allow the mixture to come to a perfect boil, cover with a lid, and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes, or until the pumpkin becomes completely soft. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Once the mix cools down a bit, pour it to a mixer or blender jar and grind it to a smooth puree.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If the soup is too thick, add some water to adjust the consistency. (In my opinion, however, this soup tastes better when it is thick.)
- Pour the soup equally to 4 bowls.
- If you prefer a hot soup, heat up the puree before serving.
- Garnish each bowl with pepper powder and fresh cream (optional).
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on October 05, 2018:
Thanks for the lovely comment. True. This is an amazing soup to relish on a cold evening.
RTalloni on October 05, 2018:
Such a cozy soup for when the weather cools off... :)