L.M.Reid creates delicious recipes and gives step-by-step instructions with her own photos so you can learn how to make each recipe at home.
Beef Stew Recipe
Homemade beef stew with carrots and onions is one of my favorite dinner recipes. In this recipe I have included step-by-step instructions with my own photos so that you can cook this recipe from scratch. I also explain how to safely thicken the stew with gravy. Here in Ireland, we call this dinner dish braised steak.
Preparation time: 15 mins approx
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 portions
- 1 ½ lbs of round steak or other beef cuts
- 2 large size onions
- 4 medium size carrots
- 2 large tomatoes
- Tomato puree, Sunflower oil, Gravy mix
- Cut up the onions into medium slices.
- Cut up the tomatoes into medium pieces.
- Cut up the carrots into large round shapes.
- Wash the round steak under the tap.
- Cut up the round steak in to portions.
- Put these into the bottom of the cooking dish.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to a pot.
- Cook for approx. thirty seconds until the onions are brown.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Mix in these vegetables on the cooker for three minutes.
- By putting in the carrots and heating them, it gives them a harder shell. They taste better in the stew because of this.
- Remove the vegetables from the cooker and add on top of the meat and spread evenly.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cover the cooking dish with a lid and place in the oven.
- If you do not have a lid then use tin foil. Cook for one and a half hours at 325 – 350 degrees F.
Step 4: Thicken the Stew
- Remove the stew from cooker.
- Add some extra boiled water to the stew.
- Make up the gravy and stir this into the dish slowly until mixed in evenly.
- Place the dish back into the oven for a further thirty minutes.
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on October 26, 2012:
Beef stew or casserole as some call it is a great meal to have when you have a few people over for dinner.
Thanks kikalina and Peggy W for taking the time to leave a comment, the shares and votes
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on October 14, 2012:
This looks so good! I can almost smell it from looking at that last photo! Thanks for this good sounding recipe. I also like cooking from scratch. Up and useful votes.
kikalina from Europe on July 02, 2012:
Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on July 01, 2012:
The beef does go a long way with this recipe because the stew is full of flavour with the carrots, onions and gravy.
Thanks alocsin for the share and votes
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on July 01, 2012:
I'm am just loving your recipes on saving money while cooking delicious meals. This looks like a worthy addition. Voting this Up and Useful. SHARED.
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on March 09, 2012:
It does taste as good as it looks Fiddleman and is quite easy to make.
Fiddleman on March 05, 2012:
Great recipe and I know this must really be good.
L M Reid from Ireland on February 25, 2012:
Beef Stew is one of my favorite dishes. Always lovely with mashed potatoes and cabbage.
Thanks for SHARING
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on February 16, 2012:
Than you Ian for your comment and your extra ingredients. Will give that a try and see how much extra zing I get from it lol
Ian Rowan on October 05, 2011:
Great stew but just add a bit of Worcestershire sauce or similar to give it a bit of extra zing.
And the next day add curry.