L.M.Reid creates delicious recipes and gives step-by-step instructions with her own photos so you can learn how to make each recipe at home.
Beef Stew Recipe
Homemade beef stew with carrots and onions is one of my favorite dinner recipes. In this recipe I have included step-by-step instructions with my own photos so that you can cook this recipe from scratch. I also explain how to safely thicken the stew with gravy. Here in Ireland, we call this dinner dish braised steak.
Preparation time: 15 mins approx
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 portions
- 1 ½ lbs of round steak or other beef cuts
- 2 large size onions
- 4 medium size carrots
- 2 large tomatoes
- Tomato puree, Sunflower oil, Gravy mix
Read More From Delishably
- Cut up the onions into medium slices.
- Cut up the tomatoes into medium pieces.
- Cut up the carrots into large round shapes.
- Wash the round steak under the tap.
- Cut up the round steak in to portions.
- Put these into the bottom of the cooking dish.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to a pot.
- Cook for approx. thirty seconds until the onions are brown.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Mix in these vegetables on the cooker for three minutes.
- By putting in the carrots and heating them, it gives them a harder shell. They taste better in the stew because of this.
- Remove the vegetables from the cooker and add on top of the meat and spread evenly.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cover the cooking dish with a lid and place in the oven.
- If you do not have a lid then use tin foil. Cook for one and a half hours at 325 – 350 degrees F.
Step 4: Thicken the Stew
- Remove the stew from cooker.
- Add some extra boiled water to the stew.
- Make up the gravy and stir this into the dish slowly until mixed in evenly.
- Place the dish back into the oven for a further thirty minutes.