Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
This is a simple and healthy pureed mixed vegetable soup recipe. No corn flour or cream is necessary to thicken it. The recipe is also flexible, in that you can add any vegetables you have on hand or you can skip any you don't wish to include. It has the added advantage of being low in fat, as it calls for no oil and incorporates only a small amount of butter.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons palak (spinach), washed and chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots, washed, peeled, and chopped
- 8 French beans, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cabbage, washed and sliced
- 1 small beetroot, washed, peeled, and sliced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera (cumin seed) powder, roasted
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon hara dhania (cilantro)
- 500 ml water
- Add all the vegetables in a pressure cooker along with the water. Close the lid. Keep the heat on high until the first whistle, and then cook on low heat for 15 minutes more. Turn off the heat and let the pressure subside.
- Open the cooker and blend the veggies with a hand blender until fine.
- Strain out through a sieve to remove the pulp, seeds, and other waste.
- Pour the strained soup mixture into a wok and keep the heat on medium. Stir the soup intermittently as you proceed to the next step.
- On another burner, prepare the tadka (tempering). In a small pan on low-medium heat, add in the butter and let it melt. Add the roasted jeera powder and black pepper powder. Stir a few times and transfer this tempering to the soup, which you have been stirring intermittently.
- Add in the salt and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes, or until the soup thickens to your liking.
- Add in some chopped coriander leaves if you like. Stir a few times and transfer the soup to serving bowls.
- Squeeze some lemon juice in the soup and serve.
Pureed Mixed Vegetable Soup Recipe Video
© 2019 Rajan Singh Jolly