Virginia has been experimenting in the kitchen for almost 50 years. She loves to share her recipes, cooking tips, and reviews.
Need a healthy meal for your family? Try this soup that I created to imitate my favorite Marie Calendar's meal. I like to eat it with sweet cornbread and honey butter. Here are some tips:
- Quickest: For a meal in 30 minutes, used canned navy beans.
- Healthiest: To keep my recipe low fat, I use cut-up 97% fat-free ham and make sure to add other vegetables like celery, carrots, onions or leeks.
- Even Better Taste: If you already have them on hand, you might want to add a ham hock or leftover ham scraps. You can also add 1/2 cup of white wine for a fuller taste.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
1 hour 45 min
6 one cup servings
- 1 lb dry navy beans, or 2 cans, drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup carrots and/or celery or leeks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs like rosemary, basil, sage, or chives, or 2 tablespoons of dried herb mix
- 1/2 cup low-fat ham, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken boullion, or to taste
- 1 tea. pepper, or to taste
- 1-2 fresh or 1 16 oz can chopped tomatoes, optional—add at end
- If using canned beans, total cooking time is 20-30 minutes: Drain beans and put in a pot with 1 cup water and move to step 3.
- For starting with dried beans: Quick-cook dried white beans by covering them with cold water, boiling for 2 minutes, covering with a lid, and letting them sit for 20 minutes or more. Drain water off. Then cover beans with cold water again. Make sure there is at least 1" of water on top. Cook for 1-2 hours on medium heat or until beans are soft.
- Add onion carrots/celery, ham, and herbs (any mix of fresh or dried, you can use herbes de Provence or Italian seasonings). Cook on medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Add dried chicken bouillon, pepper, and more herbs to taste. If you want a thicker soup, you can remove 1 cup of beans and mash them with a fork, then put them back in the pan and mix.
- Optional: add 1-2 chopped tomatoes or 1 can of chopped tomatoes and heat until just boiling (don't add these until the very end).