Quick and Easy Okra Goulash Recipe
A Quick and Easy Goulash
So many people have different ideas about how to make goulash. The original dish is Hungarian and is mainly made from meat, tomatoes, potatoes, and various spices. People have created many variations over the years, but the main ingredients still remain the same, although potatoes or pasta are sometimes added.
Here in the South, we like our macaroni and okra, so I have combined these ingredients to make my okra goulash. Okra is very nutritious and helps to make this recipe a healthy lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound ground beef (or you can use turkey or venison)
- 1 cup dry macaroni pasta
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, I use garlic, basil, oregano flavor
- 1 6 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Brown the ground meat in a skillet and drain the excess fat. Using ground turkey or venison will make this recipe lower in fat.
- While your meat in cooking, boil your macaroni until tender, adding just a touch of cooking oil to your boiling water to keep your macaroni from sticking to the pan. Once it is done, drain and set aside.
- When your meat is browned, add the diced tomatoes, with juice. Stir in the garlic salt and cumin. Add the sliced okra and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Now add the cooked macaroni and tomato sauce. Stir gently to mix everything well and heat throughly before serving.
- I do like to use ground venison instead of ground beef, as it has much less fat.
- The okra and cumin add a little "Southern touch."
- Add a pan of hot corn bread, and you have a wonderful, satisfying, healthy meal in no time.