Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Creamy, Tangy, and Spicy Restaurant-Style Tomato Soup
Tomato soup is one of my family's favorite dinners. I make a thick, creamy, and flavorful tomato soup that tastes so much better than what they serve at restaurants. The truth is that a lot of people make tomato soup that's either too runny or too sweet, but this recipe has the perfect balance of ingredients.
The tomato soup I made this morning was lip-smacking. I made it for two people, using three ripe, red tomatoes. It was perfect!
Let me share the recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp milk cream (optional, gives rich taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, not hot, gives bright red color
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- 1 slice plain bread, roasted, cut in cubes, for serving
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the tanginess of tomatoes
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil. Throw in the whole tomatoes. Cover the pot with a lid. Let the tomatoes boil for 30 seconds. Turn off the stove. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Take the tomatoes out. By now, they should be cool, and their skin should have loosened. Peel the skin. Remove the stem part. Chop the flesh. Grind it to get a very smooth puree.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and cloves. Sauté for 10 seconds. Throw in chopped garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds. No need to brown them.
- Add chopped onions. Continue sautéing till they turn translucent. Now, pour in the tomato puree, 1 cup of water, and some salt. Boil the mix for 4-5 minutes.
- Throw in the pepper powder, red chili powder, and sugar. Let the mix further boil for 1 minute.
- Add 1 teaspoon milk cream (optional) and 1 teaspoon butter. Mix well. Stir-cook for a while.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture, then add it to the pan. Give a quick stir. Let it boil for 1 minute, then simmer for 30 seconds. Turn off the stove.
- Your tomato soup is ready. Add salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Pour the hot soup into two bowls. Garnish with roasted bread cubes and finely chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy this heavenly soup!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on October 12, 2017:
Thank you. I am sure you will enjoy sipping this yummy tomato soup this week. All the best!
Lizolivia from Central USA on October 12, 2017:
I saved this recipe to make this week using tomatoes from my garden. Thank you for sharing!