I come from a family that likes to be creative in the kitchen. I enjoy dreaming up new recipes, as well as putting a spin on old favorites.
Autumn in a Bowl
Nothing tops a warm bowl of soup on a brisk autumn day, and nothing says "autumn" like the smell of pumpkin. Most people think of sweet spices going with pumpkin, but it also pairs well with savory herbs. This soup is quick to make after a busy day, and, having relatively few ingredients, it is a low-cost dinner option for those on a budget.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 rounded tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (or just under 2 cups fresh pumpkin purée)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk (or 3/4 cup low-fat milk plus 1/4 cup half and half)
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in the bottom of a medium-sized pot, then add the flour to make a roux. Add the 1/3 cup of half and half and stir until smooth.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the pan, stirring constantly to keep the mixture smooth.
- Combine the pumpkin purée with the broth mixture and allow to cook for a couple of minutes, stirring now and then to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the seasoning to the soup, cooking it for a couple more minutes, then turn the heat down to low.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring the whole time to combine it thoroughly with the soup. Allow the soup to simmer for at least another 3-4 minutes before serving.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to serve more than four.
- To make this recipe vegan-friendly, simply substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth, and use your favorite non-dairy milk in place of the milk and half and half.
- If you have fresh butternut squash purée, it would substitute quite nicely for the pumpkin in this soup.
- Serve with crusty bread, crackers, or alongside a turkey or chicken sandwich.