Creamy Tomato and Sweet Pepper Soup
This Soup Is Sure to Warm You Up
This is a colorful, creamy, and spicy soup that's perfect to warm you up during the winter months. Serve garnished with fried breadcrumbs.
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small potato, skin peeled, finely chopped
- 1/6 tsp pepper powder
- 1/6 tsp red chili powder (Kashmiri red chili powder preferred)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil (I used butter)
- 1/4 inch cinnamon stick, or 2 pinches cinnamon powder
- Heat half the butter or olive oil in a deep-bottomed pan, then throw in the breadcrumbs. Sauté over low heat till they turn golden brown and crispy, then transfer them to a plate. These crumbs are for garnishing the soup.
- Pour remaining butter or olive oil in the pan, then add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for a minute, then add chopped carrots and potato. Add salt (this will speed up the cooking) and continue stir-cooking for 3 minutes.
- Throw in the chopped red pepper and tomatoes. Pour in a glass of water, then cover the pan. Let the mix boil for 5-6 minutes or until the veggies become soft. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Pour the mixture into a blender. Add cinnamon and blend, adding water (if needed) to get a smooth puree. Transfer it back to the deep pan and add 2 1/2 glasses of water, red chili powder, pepper powder, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir the mixture for 1 minute.
- Your tomato and sweet pepper soup is ready. Pour it equally into four bowls. Garnish with breadcrumbs and a pinch of Kashmiri red chili powder. Enjoy!
- Deep-fried breadcrumbs can be very oily. Shallow-frying allows you to use less oil.
- Kashmiri red chili powder is less spicy. It has bright red attractive color. Sprinkle a pinch for garnish.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 8 mg||3%|
|Sodium 340 mg||14%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|