I have started watching what goes into my food, so I've begun making my food from scratch.
An Easy Wintertime Soup
During the holiday season, my schedule is normally quite packed—but I still need to prepare meals for gatherings at home. For these gatherings, I choose recipes that are simple and quick to prepare without sacrificing taste. My sweet potato carrot soup is normally my go-to dish for these hectic holiday times.
- 1/2 kilo sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 kilo carrots, cubed
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- cinnamon powder, to taste
- In a saucepan, combine the sweet potato, carrot and chicken bouillon cube. Simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft. Remove from heat.
- With a hand blender, puree the sweet potato and carrot mixture until it reaches a thick and creamy consistency.
- Add the milk or cream, then stir.
- If the soup is too thick for you, you can thin it out by adding hot water.
- Before serving, sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top.
- You may serve this soup with slices of toasted French bread. This is good for a bigger crowd.
- You may also serve this in a bread bowl. This is good for a smaller, elegant gathering.
- Aside from cinnamon powder, I have used dehydrated moringa flakes to garnish this soup.
- Try this soup too with some savory crackers like onion or garlic crackers.
Got the Hang of It?
Once you're comfortable with the recipe, substitute the sweet potatoes and carrots with the following ingredients:
Nicky Hunt (author) from Manila, Philippines on December 09, 2019:
I have also tried this recipe using green peas, spinach chickpeas, potatoes and squash.
Liz Westwood from UK on December 06, 2019:
This is a great soup recipe. I appreciate its simplicity.
Nicky Hunt (author) from Manila, Philippines on December 03, 2019:
This is also good with some savory crackers!
Liza from USA on December 03, 2019:
I love sweet potatoes, this is good alternative soup for wintertime. Thanks for sharing the recipe.