An Appetizing Low-Carb Menu
A True Masterpiece
"A Dinner Fit For A King"
That is what my husband said when I placed this dish in front of him, "a dinner fit for a king." Well, I have to admit, steak is his favorite meal, but not all steaks. I found that the New York strip steak comes out the most tender and juicy then the rest of the steaks, except for filet mignon, of course. There are others, but they are much more expensive.
There really is no recipe for cooking a steak and mushroom dinner, but I can give you a few tips.
The sauce you see is simply butter, a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley flakes. Heat it up in a small sauce pan until the butter is melted and everything is blended. After the steak is half cooked, brush the sauce on each side when turning. You can save the rest to pour over the steak in the plate.
The mushrooms need to be cleaned, simply but rubbing the dirt off of them with a dry paper towel and add to a hot pan with a tablespoon of butter and extra virgin olive oil. Don't season until the mushrooms are cooked or else the salt will draw out all of the juices in the mushrooms and they will be dry. Cooking the mushrooms in a hot pan flipping or turning them will ensure a golden and juicy mushroom. When the mushrooms are done till your satisfaction, then add the salt and pepper and a little garlic powder and dried parsley flakes (optional).
Dinner is ready to be served!
Photo of Ingredients for the Steak and Mushroom Dinner
How Long Do I Cook The Steak?
That of course, is personal. Everyone likes their steak cooked differently. My husband likes his steak a little more done than I do. I like to see a little more pink in mine. The steak you see below was cooked 6 minutes on each side on our grill.
It depends on how you want to see the inside and how thick the steak is. If it's a little thicker and you want it more done, then add a couple more minutes to each side. I know people who like it practically raw. Then just a minute or two on each side just to brown the outside of the steak.
Cook your mushrooms while your steak is grilling outside or even inside on your grill pan. My mother used to cook her steak in a large cast iron frying pan. It came out good too except no grill marks.
Photos of the Steak's Doneness and Cooking on the Grill
Photos of Mushrooms Cooking
A Light Low Carb Layered Peanut Butter Dessert
Who said low car diets have to be boring or tasteless. This dinner proves it doesn't. I couldn't leave out dessert. Having a very "large" sweet tooth, I couldn't go through a day without a dessert. Not being able to eat the desserts that I ate before, due to my low carb diet, I decided that I had to make my own.
I love peanut butter and Cool whip, so I came up with this. My daughters and son-in-law loved it. Hope you do too.
Ingredients For The Low Carb Peanut Butter Dessert
- 1/2 cup Cool Whip, Fat Free
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk, No Sugar Added
- 1/2 cup Sugar Substitute, Your choice
- 1 box Instant Vanilla or White Chocolate Pudding Mix, Sugar Free
- 2/3 cup Penut Butter, Creamy
- 2 cups Cool Whip, Fat Free (For Topping)
- 8 oz. Low Fat Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
- 2 tablespoons each of Sugar Substitute & Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Fat Free Cool Whip, For Cream Cheese Layer
Ingredients For The Layered Peanut Butter Dessert
- For Cream Cheese Layer: Mix together the cream cheese, milk and sugar substitute. Add the 1 1/2 cups of Cool Whip. Spread over the bottom of a 11" x 7" glass pan. Put in the freezer until the next step is ready.
- For Peanut Butter Layer: Whip the peanut butter in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup of sugar sweetner and the box of sugar free instant pudding. Mix it until all is combined.
- When the cream cheese layer is cold, top it with the peanut butter layer. Pour the peanut butter mixture all in the middle and gently spread all over the cream cheese layer, trying not to disturb it.
- Top the peanut butter layer with 2 cups of Cool Whip, making peaks with the back of the spoon to make it look prettier. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This can be made a day ahead of time.
Photos of Peanut Butter Dessert
Cook Time For The Layered Peanut Butter Dessert
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Rachel L Alba