Gluten-Free Anzac Biscuits
This recipe makes approximately 24 biscuits, depending on whether or not my children help me and eat half the mixture before I can bake them.
- 2 cups gluten-free Kellogg's Special K
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (less is best, definitely don't go more)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 125 grams butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 150°C and line a couple of biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Combine all your dry ingredients, Special K, coconut, sugar, rice flour and GF Plain flour and mix them through with your hands.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the "freshly boiled" water and stir until completely dissolved. Then pour into the melted butter and golden syrup while it is still hot (this is a kind of chemical reaction and you want to see a bit of foaming).
- Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour your wet ingredients into it, mix thoroughly using your hands.
- With your hands form small balls of mixture and place onto biscuit trays allowing a little room for spreading.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- It is important to let your biscuits cool on their baking trays for at least 5 minutes before transferring them onto the cooling racks, or they will fall apart.