We enjoy cooking and baking. We spend countless hours experimenting with new plant-based recipes to satisfy any savory or sweet craving.
A Cake for Chocolate Lovers
As a teenager I made this plant-based chocolate cake frequently—it was one of my go-to recipes when I wanted to whip up something sweet. Friends have requested this cake for their birthday parties, and they always recommend my vegan-friendly baking to skeptical critics.
Triple Chocolate: Cake, Frosting, and Chips
This triple plant-based chocolate cake has its name for a reason! It has a nice, creamy chocolate frosting on the outside, a dense but moist chocolate cake on the inside, and chunky chocolate chips to top it off.
Let this cake make your chocolate dreams come true.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups + 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk (preferably full fat coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease a 10-inch springform pan.
- For the cake, mix the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar to make "buttermilk." Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and oil. Mix until the sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and cocoa. Sieve flour cocoa mixture into the wet mixture. Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer combine all of the ingredients.
- Slowly add the liquids (the water and buttermilk) to the bowl until you have a smooth batter. Next, fold in the chocolate chips until well incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool.
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the frosting (if using).
- For the frosting, combine the margarine, confectioners' sugar, and cocoa until incorporated in a large bowl, using a handheld mixer or stand mixer,
- Add the non-dairy milk and vanilla. Mix well. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk, or add more confectioners' sugar in case it is too soft, a tablespoon at a time. Store in the fridge until you are ready to decorate your dessert or freeze for later use.
- When the cake has cooled completely, gently spread the frosting on the top and sides. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips, if desired, and enjoy!
© 2021 Bellwether Farming