Carmen is an enthusiastic vegan cook and baker, and she especially likes to experiment with new recipes.
A Cake for Chocolate Lovers
Back in Germany, I used to make this vegan chocolate cake frequently—it was one of my go-to recipes when I wanted to whip up something sweet. Friends have requested this cake for their birthday parties, and they always recommend my vegan baking to skeptical critics.
Triple Chocolate: Cake, Frosting, and Chips
This triple vegan chocolate cake has its name for a reason! It has a nice, creamy chocolate frosting on the outside, a dense but moist chocolate cake on the inside, and chunky chocolate chips to top it off.
Let this cake make your chocolate dreams come true.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cups cane sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk (I use full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease a 10-inch springform pan.
- For the cake, mix the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar to make "buttermilk." Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and oil. Mix until the sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and cocoa. Sieve flour cocoa mixture into the wet mixture. Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer combine all of the ingredients.
- Slowly add the liquids (the water and buttermilk) to the bowl until you have a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool.
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the frosting. In a bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer, combine the margarine, confectioners' sugar, and cocoa until incorporated.
- Add the non-dairy milk and vanilla. Mix well. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk, or add more confectioners' sugar in case it is too soft. Store in the fridge until the cake is ready to decorate.
- When the cake has cooled completely, gently spread the frosting on the top and sides. Then sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
© 2021 Bellwether Farming