Updated date:

Diabetes-Friendly Recipe: Bottle Gourd and Mung Bean Curry

Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.

The completed curry.

The completed curry.

About Bottle Gourd and Mung Bean Curry

Why is this curry a diabetic-friendly food? Bottle gourd is also known as "bottle squash." It contains 92% water, and the remaining 8% is fiber. Hence, it is an easily digestible food. It has a negligible amount of glucose and very few sugar compounds, which makes it a diabetic-friendly food. Including bottle gourd into your diet may help reduce your blood sugar levels.

Mung beans are a good source of protein. They are a dietary plus because they have few carbohydrates. Bottle gourd and mung beans are a good combination. Both of these ingredients cook fast. Moong dal dishes make you feel full, so they can help you control your body weight.

Making this curry is very easy and simple. All the ingredients used here are the ones available in any regular kitchen. Bottle gourd, moong dal (split mung bean), green chilies, grated coconut, curry leaves, mustard seeds, white lentils, oil, and salt are used to make this simple side dish.

Prep timeCook timeReady inYields

10 min

15 min

25 min

Serves four people

Ingredients:

  • 1 big bottle gourd, skin removed, diced
  • 1 cup split and de-husked mung beans (moong dal)
  • 1 cup grated coconut
  • a small piece of jaggery (optional)
  • 3 green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
  • 2 teaspoons cooking oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 8 curry leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon white lentils (urad dal)
  • 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, for garnishing
  • salt to taste
  • 2 pinches of hing/asafetida
  • a few drops of lemon juice
  • a pinch of turmeric powder (optional)

Instructions

  1. Wash moong dal/split mung bean. Soak in water for 15 minutes. Strain it.
  2. Heat oil in a pan. Throw mustard seeds into it. Let them sizzle. Add curry leaves, white lentils, slit chilies, and two pinches of hing. Saute for 20 seconds.
  3. Add moong dal. Saute for a minute. Add 1 cup water and some salt. Cover the pan. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Keep the fire low.
  4. Add chopped bottle gourd and turmeric powder. Mix with moong dal. Add some more water if needed. Cover the pan. Stir it at intervals. Cook till bottle gourd and moong dal cook properly and become almost dry.
  5. Add jaggery powder (optional), grated coconut, and some more salt. Combine all the ingredients over low heat. Turn off the fire after a few seconds. Squeeze in a few drops of lemon juice. Throw chopped coriander leaves into the pan. Mix once.
  6. The bottle gourd and mung bean curry is ready to eat. Serve this side dish with roti, boiled rice, or pancakes. Enjoy!

Important Tips

  • Moong dal (split mung bean) cooks fast. Be watchful while you're cooking it, or else it may turn out mushy.
  • Add just enough water to cook the ingredients. Adding more water spoils the texture of the curry.
  • This is a mildly spiced curry. You can eat 2 to 3 tablespoons of this side dish just like a salad for good health. At times, don't worry about the main course.
  • Add a pinch of turmeric for health benefits.

Comments

ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 16, 2017:

Yes, I know. You can even make chutney using its skin. I will look into your hub sometime soon. Thanks for your valuable insights on this curry.

Venkatachari M from Hyderabad, India on June 16, 2017:

It's a good healthy dish for diabetic patients or even for healthy people. I prepare it often. But, mostly, I use only the cumins and the green chili-ginger paste for spicing it up at the time of tempering. I prepare even the chutneys with those peeled skins of vegetables which I have shared in one or two of my hubs.