Pooja is getting her degree in history and loves cooking and creating veganised versions of her favourite foods.
Eggplant curry is one of my favourite curries to make. This one is both sweet and spicy. It's delicious and so simple to make, plus it's so healthy since the eggplants are steamed! It's also perfect for when you're having friends over because they will absolutely love the taste and textures! Even your non-vegan friends will be asking you for the recipe!
- 4 eggplants, sliced
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- Steam the eggplants until they are well-cooked. This should take approximately 10 to 20 minutes.
- While the eggplants are steaming, stir-fry the chopped garlic and white onions until they turn slightly golden.
- Add the soy sauce, salt (optional), sugar, chili powder and sesame seeds to the garlic and onion mix.
- Once the onion and garlic are mixed with the other ingredients, add the eggplant and mix it in, too.
- Garnish the curry with the chopped spring onions and serve with rice.
- To make the eggplants extra tasty, sprinkle some salt over them while you steam them.
- If you like your curries really spicy, add some chopped jalapeños. If you don't like spicy curry, you can leave out the chili powder.
- You can use lots of things to make this dish sweet apart from regular sugar, like maple syrup, cane sugar, etc.
- You can choose to grill, bake or fry the eggplants instead of steaming them, but I prefer the steamed ones.
- These measurements will serve about 4 people.
© 2018 Pooja
BBYCGN from Uninhabited Regions on November 16, 2019:
I love curried foods, and this looks delicious!
Maria Lopez R. on September 23, 2019:
It seems to be easy and healthy. I sometimes find it difficult to include eggplants in my diet, so I guess it will be a good option.
Pooja (author) on August 05, 2019:
Hi, yes you can definitely use Cheyanne instead!
Darrell on August 05, 2019:
Drool, drool! I've noticed you've called it Eggplant Curry yet season with chili powder instead... Are all hot spiced seasonings a kind of curry? Would Cheyanne pepper also work?
Pooja (author) on August 08, 2018:
Thanks! Let me know how it turns out!
Sarah Cook from Wasaga Beach on August 08, 2018:
Im going to try this! Looks yummy!