Make a Vegetarian Brunch Skillet-Meal in Four Steps
Here's a brunch that is easy to prepare, healthy, and filling. Add whole grain bread and fruit to your meal, and it will keep you going until dinner time. Double the recipe if you have a large family, or if you will be serving guests.
Why stop at brunch though? This dish is also perfect if you're in the mood for a big breakfast, or if you like having breakfast for dinner. If you're cooking for meat eaters, I have a corned beef hash version; all you have to do is substitute a can of corned beef hash for the Morningstar Farms sausage patties. You'll use less oil with that recipe, because the hash is greasy.
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
As I've mentioned in other recipe Hubs, I absolutely love my Lodge cast iron skillet. Everyone should own at least one medium sized skillet, and learn how to properly care for it. Watch the video below to see just how simple it really is to clean and season cast iron. No, it's not nearly as easy as tossing it in the dishwasher, but it is nowhere near as difficult as some people think. I made the mistake of cooking this hash recipe in a stainless steel frying pan one time, and it was edible, but it kept sticking to the pan, and it took longer to cook. Now, I use my skillet exclusively when making this dish.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups frozen hash browns
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patties
- 4 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Tabasco, to taste
- pepper, to taste
4 Easy Steps
- Heat oil in a well seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add hash browns to pan. Stir occasionally. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a medium sized bowl, and add the basil, pepper and Tabasco sauce. (The eggs will turn out fluffier if you beat them right before adding them to the pan, so don't beat them yet).
- Add the sausage patties to the skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Using a spatula, crumble the sausage and mix it in with the hash browns.
- Stir in the peppers and mushrooms, and cook until they are tender, stirring occasionally. Push the mixture to one side of the skillet, beat the egg mixture, and then scramble the eggs in the empty side. (You may find that you need to add a little more oil to the skillet first).
- Add spinach and scallions, and stir until spinach is wilted. Turn off heat, sprinkle cheese on top of mixture. Serve immediately.
Late Leisurely Breakfasts
What do you prefer to eat for brunch?
Relax and Enjoy
As easy as this dish is to prepare, it's not exactly a recipe that you can quickly throw together, so it's not the ideal morning meal to make before heading off to work (unless, of course, you have some leftover).
It truly is the perfect dish for Sundays. Sleep in late, spend some time in the kitchen preparing a delicious meal, and sit down with the newspaper and a heaping plateful of this veggie skillet meal. Then head out to do some shopping, hiking, fishing, or whatever you like to do with a free afternoon. You'll wish every day was Sunday!
Learn How to Clean & Season Your Skillet
It's worth mentioning that MorningStar Farms, and other meat substitutes, tend to be high in sodium. So, if you are feeding someone with high blood pressure or have any other concerns about salt intake, you might want to shop around for a lower sodium brand. For a full vegan version of this recipe, you could substitute tofu for the eggs and meatless sausage patties.
If using tofu, use firm or extra firm, and be sure to press all of the water out of it prior to cooking with it. The time it takes to do this can be cut down if you use a tofu press. You can find one on Amazon or e-bay for around $20.00 or so, and it's a good investment if you eat tofu on a regular basis.
© 2016 Sara Krentz
More by this Author
Here is an easy to prepare meat filling to use as a foundation for Tex-Mex dishes. No slow cooker? Parboil the chicken in a stock pot instead.
The ultimate breakfast, this has all of your favorite ingredients - eggs, hash, veggies, cheese, and hash browns. Serve a delicious brunch in under 45 minutes.
Do you have a favorite Sunday brunch recipe?
No comments yet.