Vegan Tomato and Capsicum Curry Recipe
A Quick Curry Anytime
This tomato and capsicum curry is deliciously spicy and tangy, and it also comes together very quickly. Since I almost always have tomato and capsicum in my kitchen, this is one of those dishes that's easy to make when I'm running low on other ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/6 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rasam powder (see recipe below), or coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon or more oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, as per taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, for tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for tempering
- Heat oil in a pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds. This is the tempering.
- Add chopped onion. Saute for a few minutes or until it becomes transparent.
- Throw in chopped capsicum. Continue sauteing for 3 more minutes. Add chopped tomato. Increase the fire. Mix well.
- Once the tomato becomes tender and mushy, add rasam powder, red chili powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well, reduce the fire, and cook until most of the water evaporates from it.
- The tomato and capsicum curry is ready to serve. Serve it hot or cold with flatbread or roti. Enjoy the tangy taste.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Rasam Powder Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 7 to 8 fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 6 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon grated coconut (optional)
- A few curry leaves (optional)
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add fenugreek seeds. Fry until they turn golden.
- Turn the fire to very low. Add cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Fry for 15 seconds.
- Add dry red chilies and optional grated coconut and curry leaves.
- Throw in a pinch of asafoetida. Mix well.
- Remove the pan from the fire and set aside to cool.
- Grind to a smooth powder.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 4 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|