Vegan Recipes: Tomato and Capsicum Dry Curry
Normally, I make tomato and capsicum dry curry when I have less time for making a curry. As tomato and capsicum are vegetables that are always available in the kitchen, I often use them to make this easy dish. As you know, both these vegetables are nutrient rich and fibrous. Onion is also one of the ingredients used here.
This curry is spicy and tangy. It is a dry curry, and hence, you will get the maximum benefit of the vegetables and spices.
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/6 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Rasam powder(recipe given below), or coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tbsp or more oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for tempering
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions of Making Tomato and Capsicum Curry:
- Heat oil in a pan. Throw mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds. This is the tempering.
- Add chopped onion. Saute for a few minutes or till it is transparent.
- Throw chopped capsicum. Continue sauteing for 3 more minutes. Add chopped tomato. Increase the fire. Mix well.
- Once the tomato becomes tender and mushy, add rasam powder, red chili powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well, reduce the fire, and cook till most of the water evaporates from it.
- Tomato and capsicum curry is ready to serve. Serve the curry hot or cold with flatbread or roti. Enjoy the tangy taste.
Quick Reference for Making the Rasam Powder:
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add 7-8 fenugreek seeds. Fry till it turns golden.
- Let the fire be very low. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 2 tsp coriander seeds. Fry for 15 seconds.
- Add 6 dry red chilies, 1 tsp grated coconut (optional), and a few curry leaves (optional).
- Throw a pinch of asafoetida. Mix well.
- Put off the fire.
- Keep the pan aside for cooling.
- Grind to a smooth powder.
Photos Showing Large Quantity of Rasam Powder
Tomato and Capsicum Dry Curry Nutrition Information:
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 7 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|