How to Make Flourless Oatmeal Muffins
How Do You Bake Muffins Without Flour?
One fine day, I just needed to bake something, only the flour had run out weeks ago, and I wasn't in the mood to run to the store. A bag of quick oats sitting on the counter gave me an idea: I could use those if I chopped them up really small. So that's what I did.
I substituted the oats for flour in my 'normal' muffin recipe and modified a few other ingredients, so that I'd be able to make these with what I had in the kitchen. To my surprise, the muffins actually tasted quite good; I couldn't even tell that they were flour-free!
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, (optional)
A Note on Sweeteners
I used brown sugar because that's what I had available at the time, and I prefer its taste. The original muffin recipe I adapted calls for regular sugar, so feel free to use that instead. Honey also works well, especially if you want moist muffins.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (or 375°F if you're using a smaller muffin pan).
- Place all ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a mixing bowl.
- Use an electric mixer on high to blend all the ingredients. Mix until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix with a spoon.
- Pour into the muffin pan. Use liners if desired or grease the pan. Fill each cup until about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are slightly golden. Check with a toothpick
Is there anything you would change in this recipe?
© 2018 Janisa