John writes these articles to try to pass on any great recipes and tips that he's picked up during my culinary journeys.
Can a Meatloaf Be Fluten-Free?
Absolutely! This unbelievably delicious meatloaf also happens to be gluten-free. This is my celiac-friendly version of a recipe I originally discovered on Alton Brown’s cooking show, Good Eats. This recipe has been modified to include pork as well as beef and has two breadcrumb substitution options.
It’s easy. It’s homey. It’s delicious. Let's make it!
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cups white mushrooms, finely chopped or 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp red chile pepper flakes/powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp honey
- dash of Tabasco and Worcestershire (Worcestershire may contain gluten. Check and omit if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Heat the butter on medium in a skillet and saute the mushrooms for 2–3 mins until they're softened. The mushrooms replace the breadcrumbs, making the loaf gluten-free and keeping it from getting too dense.
- In a bowl, mix the two meats, herbs, egg, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. If you're not using mushrooms, substitute 1 cup of gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Mix everything well then test the seasoning by taking a small amount of the meat mixture and microwaving it until it's cooked. Taste it and adjust the seasonings to your taste. This is an easy step that ensures you didn't forget an ingredient.
- Pat the meat into a loaf pan. Place a little parchment paper or foil on a baking sheet. Invert the loaf pan onto the parchment paper. Tap the bottom of the loaf pan with a knife before you lift it away to ensure your loaf slides out cleanly onto the paper.
- Place the meatloaf into the oven for 10–15 minutes.
- Mix the ketchup, honey, hot sauce, and Worcestershire together.
- After 10–15 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven and glaze it with the mixture you just created. Put it back in the oven and cook until an instant-read thermometer reads 150°F when inserted in the deepest interior of the loaf. This should take about 40 minutes.
- You're done! This tastes so very good.